Chapter 36

As the night went on Ava's mood only improved. With Sébastien at her side, she almost felt invincible. It was surprising how one person's presence could do that to another.

It wasn't until Everly pointed out the still-forming hickey on her neck that her mood shifted. How could he do that to her?

The worst part wasn't even the hickey itself, Ava thought. It was the smug glances Sébastien snuck trying to look at it.

She hadn't noticed it before, but it was definitely noticeable now. But there wasn't much she could do at the moment. The last thing she wanted to do was cause a scene.

So instead, she pretended she didn't know while covertly brushing her hair forward in a weak attempt to cover it.

A few people had already left, making the group grow smaller as time went on. It wasn't until Everly announced she, too, had to go.

"He's already drunk too much and I don't want any puke in the car," Everly explained apologetically. Looking over at her brother Ava could see what she meant. He was a little unsteady on his feet and slightly green-looking already.

She hoped for Everly's sake they could make it back puke-free.

"It's fine, go," Ava assured her. She was already glad she'd come along to keep her company, and it had actually been kind of fun.

"Alright, see you Friday, then." She replied while hugging Ava. "Sébastien," she acknowledged while tipping her imaginary hat before walking over to where her brother was. She had to support him out the door but he was still able to walk without too much support.

With her friend gone Ava now had to listen to the guys speak, but their conversations weren't half as interesting. They were talking about people she didn't know, news, sport, and other topics she didn't quite care about but she didn't want to ask Sébastien if they could go. He seemed to enjoy himself too much and she knew he didn't really get out much.

So instead, she silently waited while sipping her drink and nodding her head every now and then to pretend she was listening. But apparently, she wasn't as good as an actor as she thought she was because Sébastien took one good look at her before turning to his friends.

"You know, we should go too. It's been great seeing you guys again."

"Already?" one of the men complained, looking up from his glass.

"What do you mean 'already'?" Sébastien laughed. "It's pretty late if you haven't noticed."

"Shit," the other guy muttered. "I told Jess I'd be home at 12."

"A little late for that, might as well stay now," another one chimed in, earning him a glare from the first guy.

"Do what you want but we're going," Sébastien announced while nudging Ava toward the door. "See you later."

With a small smile and a wave of her arm, they were out the door. The cool wind was a welcome change to the hot atmosphere within the bar. It was like she could finally breathe again.

"Let me get an uber," Sébastien muttered while pulling out his phone. He probably wasn't sober enough to drive so Ava was glad to hear it.

"How are you getting your car back?" she asked curiously. The shining black vehicle was still parked right out front and it was clear it wasn't going to go anywhere on its own.

"I'll have someone get it later," he replied dismissively. As if was the most normal thing in the world.

The uber arrived surprisingly fast for the late hour but Ava wasn't going to complain. As they got in she was about to buckle her seatbelt when Sébastien reached over to drag her towards him, putting her in the middle seat. He buckled her belt for her before slinging his arm around her to push her even more into him.