Chapter 31

It almost felt too surreal to be true. How did it even happen? One moment she's convinced he hates her and the next he kisses her and asks her to be with him.

With him.

The godly creature she could have only dreamt of. With looks like that, the world was his. Yet it was her he wanted to be with. She didn't get it. There was nothing she could offer him, she knew. But there was no way she'd deny him.

Yet doubt lingered in her mind. Once he'd grow bored of her he could just fire her and send her away, and he'd never have to think about her again. She knew it wouldn't be that easy for her and it anything like that happened it would break her.

These thoughts plagued her and would sometimes sour the high she was riding from their kisses.

Like this morning, when she opened the door to find him waiting for her. "Morning, beautiful."

"Sébastien," she greeted back, flustered. "Hi, um, good morning," she replied while cringing at her lame reaction. He'd called her beautiful and she'd said hi. But he didn't seem to care in the least as he smiled and reached out to pull her towards him before dipping down to kiss her on the lips.

That definitely woke her up despite the early morning hours as her heart sped up to unhealthy speeds. But if she was going to die this was the way she'd want to go.

She instantly kissed him back and their lips slowly moved over each other. Her arms went around his neck for support while she felt her knees go weak. His tall frame stood as steady as ever while his hand stroked her hip.

When he let go she almost whined from the loss of touch but she managed to refrain from it. "Have breakfast with me?" he asked. His brown eyes were slightly unfocussed as they looked at her and she was sure she looked the same way. "Yes," she replied absent-mindedly, distracted by the way his hair had slightly fallen forward and was almost touching his brows.

His hand moved from her hip to her hand before gently taking it to lead her toward the main dining area. There were already two plates set and she hoped Lauren and George would forgive her for picking Sébastien over them. It wasn't that they were bad company, they just had unfair competition.

His plate was set at the head of the table, but he grabbed it before sitting down and moved around Ava. The plate was set down next to hers before he pulled out the chair and sat down on it. It didn't go unnoticed by Ava that the chair hadn't been as close to her before as it was now, but she didn't comment on it.

Instead, she savored every bite of the delicious sandwiches in front of them until she was absolutely stuffed. Sébastien ate a lot slower than her, seemingly not being in any rush to finish it. Only the sounds of their cutlery was heard throughout the room, but the silence wasn't awkward.

Every now and then his knee would bump against hers when he moved and she swore that at one point he was doing it on purpose. Not that she minded. She might have done the same thing once or twice.

The silence was only disturbed by the dinging of her phone. Confused she fished it out of her pocket to see who texted her since Sébastien obviously hadn't.

'1 text from: Everly'

"Oh, it's Everly," she explained, feeling some urge to tell him it wasn't anyone she shouldn't talk to. She'd seen plenty of fights between couples just because of texts one of them received and she wanted to make sure that didn't happen to them.

"You don't have to tell me," he said mildly amused at her attempt to explain the only time she ever received a text in his proximity. He probably already knew he was the only one interested in her.