Chapter 10

"Ava, come here for a second, dear," Lauren called out to Ava, who was passing by the kitchen. It was the start of her shift and she was headed for the servant's dining area to have her breakfast.

She curiously approached Lauren, who wasn't dressed in her usual uniform but in her regular clothes. A dark dress in a flower pattern topped off with a black shrug. It wasn't to Ava's taste but who was she to judge with the clothes she wore. "Hi, Lauren. What's going on?"

"I'm going into the city today to do some shopping for the estate, I need you to clean the first floor today, the second one is empty right now so that's not a priority," she explained while rummaging through her purse.

"I'll be gone all day, so you'll have to deliver Mr. Chastain's lunch today. I've already prepared it so don't you worry about that. George will take care of his dinner," she finished. "Do you need anything from the city?"

"No, I'm fine. Thank you," Ava replied with a small smile. "I'll take care of it."

"Alright, that's good to hear. I've put breakfast on the table for you and I'll see you tomorrow, then."

"See you tomorrow," she replied before making her way to the dining area to have her breakfast. Every morning, Lauren would stop by the bakery on her way to work to buy fresh bread and croissants, and Ava loved it. It was a luxury breakfast, something that Ava would only get during special holidays such as Christmas.

But here, she got to eat it every day.

George wasn't at breakfast either, which was probably the reason she had to serve lunch to Mr. Chastain. The thought of it made her nervous but she was still a good few hours away from lunch so she forced herself to think about something else.

Like cleaning.

It wasn't the most exciting thought but she would have to plan out how she would clean the hallway and what she'd use for it. It was enough to keep her busy throughout the morning and even during the cleaning itself.

But before she knew it, it was lunchtime and she had to make her way to the kitchen to ready the tray of food. Upon opening the fridge, she was pleasantly surprised to see that Lauren had indeed prepared all the food. It only needed to be put on the tray with some drinks.

She carefully balanced it all before slowly walking up the stairs. When she reached the stop she released the breath she was holding before making her way to Mr. Chastains room. She wasn't sure where she would have to deliver it so she'd just check the places where he could be.

While walking through the long hallway a melodious sound reached her ears and she had to stop to listen to it. It sounded like music was being played in one of the rooms and she couldn't resist but to eavesdrop on it.

She rarely heard music. Of course, when she was shopping sometimes a store would play it but how often did she really shop? When driving in Mr. Chastain's car she enjoyed the sound of his radio, but his close proximity prevented her from truly enjoying the melodies.

Her feet slowly carried her closer to the sound until she reached a closed door. She wasn't going to open it, it would not only be rude but also a little creepy. So she just stood there, enjoying the song until it was over. After hearing some shuffling on the other side of the room she felt like it was a good time to knock on the door.

"Come in," a muffled voice called out on the other side, prompting her to carefully open the door while making sure she didn't spill all the food and drinks on the floor.

The room was large, and light. The large windows ensured that as much sunlight would enter the room as possible and cast it in an almost ethereal glow. At the very center stood a magnificent white piano that immediately caught her eye.