Chapter 13

"So, do you know Jane?" Ava asked in an attempt to break the uncomfortable silence and ease the awkwardness that hung around in the car.

 "Not really, she's the little sister of a friend of mine but I've seen her around," he answered while glancing over to her. "This town isn't that big so I know most people around here."

"Even Everly?"

"The one who works at the restaurant?" he asked, waiting for her confirmation. "Yeah, she's the cousin of another friend of mine. Never really talked to her though."

Ava thought about it for a bit. "Must be nice knowing everyone in town," she replied with genuine wonder. She never got stopped anywhere for a talk since she was practically invisible. Most people she introduced herself to forgot they'd even met at all the next time she saw them.

"Sometimes. But it can be tiring, everyone stops to talk to you so you can't really walk around and mind your business."

"I can imagine." She could, but she was still a little jealous of the life he had. People actually wanted his attention and seemed to light up when he decided to give it to them. There was a certain air around him that made anyone want to please him. The worst part was that he didn't even do it on purpose, it was just the kind of guy he was.

"It's why I like living in the city, no one knows you when you go out. I can be outside for a whole day and no one will stop to talk to me," he clarified.

She could see how he'd want that since he wasn't the biggest extrovert she'd ever met. Not that he shied away from conversations, but he was just really calm and soft-spoken. It was very relaxing to talk to him.

"But you've been here for weeks so you can't dislike it that much, right?"

He briefly smiled at that. "I suppose."

"I like this town," she went on. "The people are very nice, I think. And the town itself is very pretty."

"You like it here?"

The way he asked that made her pause, did she like it here?

"I do, very much," she answered truthfully. Even though the town wasn't that close to the estate it was definitely worth the long walk. It was even better now that he'd regularly offer her rides to and from town.

"Good," he replied.

She wondered what he'd meant by that exactly but got distracted by the unfamiliar scenery around them. The part of town they were driving in wasn't familiar to her at all and since she was pretty sure this wasn't the right way back to the estate, she turned to him.

"Where are we going?" It wasn't that she was scared since she doubted he'd do anything bad to her, but she did want to know.

"It's lunchtime," he answered simply while slowing down the car. It didn't really provide Ava with any indications of what they'd be doing but she wasn't sure if it was annoying to keep asking questions.

Internally, she battled with herself. On one hand, she was curious as to where they were going. On the other hand, she really didn't want to be a nuisance to him.

When they stopped she realized she'd probably thought about it for too long, but at least she got her answer by looking outside.

A small but elegant bistro stood out from the small stores around it and she was instantly in love with the way it looked. The front looked as if it had been built in another century and preserved in that same style for all those years. Yet, it was also modern with its large glass window panes that let in as much natural light as possible.