Chapter 29

Apparently, the cleaners had cleaned absolutely everything. This meant that for the following days, there wasn't anything Ava could do besides wash the dishes they used instead of putting them in the dishwasher.

Sébastien was back to working in full force, leaving her alone for most of the time. And there were only so many walks in the park you could take before even that became boring.

When the front door opened early she felt relieved. Her boredom disappeared the moment Sébastien stepped through the door and she caught herself smiling stupidly just in time to wipe it off her face.

"Hey," he greeted casually while leaning against the wall in a relaxed manner. More relaxed than she'd seen him in weeks. "Hey," she replied while walking over to him. He looked as if he had some news to share by the way he looked at her expectantly.

"I finished up the merger deal," he started carefully. "We only have to work out some of the details, but I don't have to be present for that. I was thinking we could go back to the estate," he suggested.

He looked as if he was looking at her for permission, and she didn't know how to feel about that. At times it felt like he saw her as an equal, which she knew she was definitely not. Like always, he confused her at every turn.

"That's great," Ava smiled. She could see George and Lauren again. And even Everly and their little book club. "When are we leaving?"

"Whenever you want, there's a flight tonight and tomorrow morning depending on how much time you need to pack."

"I'm good with either one, I don't have to pack much," she admitted. Even if she did have more clothes than she'd arrived with it wasn't more than a large bag.

"Can you be ready in two, then?"

"Of course."

"Alright, we'll leave tonight, then."

She wondered what happened to the cars he kept leaving behind at the airport. Would someone else come to pick it up or did he just leave it until he came back? Neither would surprise her at this point as he was rich enough to not care about things like that at all.

He carried her bags through the terminals and even though she tried to convince him she could do it herself, he refused. They currently sat waiting to board and even though she'd flown before, she still couldn't feel but fidget with her clothes.

"Are you scared of flying?" he asked suddenly while looking over to her.

"No," she replied, avoiding his eyes.

"You're fidgeting," he observed.

"I'm just a little nervous."

"Why?"

"Sometimes planes fall out of the sky," she replied distractedly while eying one of the planes through the large airport windows.

"Cars crash into each other too," he pointed out.

"Yes, but those are already on the ground."

"Are you scared of heights, then?"

"Not particularly. Just afraid of falling from those heights," she admitted sheepishly. It was stupid seeing how she didn't have a problem with being on higher grounds, until she stepped too close to the edge and there'd be a danger of falling.

"I'm scared of the ocean," he offered up while shrugging. She looked over at him to see him indifferent of his confession. He didn't mind admitting he was scared of it, and she admired that.

"Why?"

"It's so deep and dark. You don't know what's down there and I'm always scared something will grab my ankles and drag me under," he told her while looking right at her. She couldn't detect an ounce of embarrassment, and he owned it.