Chapter 6

The whole walk back to the estate Ava couldn't wipe the smile off her face. She held the books clutched to her chest as if her life depended on them while mentally deciding on which ones to read first. She still had the rest of her day off so she would be able to start as soon as she reached her room.

As she spotted another unfamiliar car in the driveway she made sure to take the side entrance again. Even if George was currently available to serve the guest she didn't want to risk another bad interaction with them.

After quickly wiping the dirt off her shoes she made a beeline for her room. To her relief, she made it without seeing anyone at all. She carefully placed the books on her desk before removing her shoes and jacket and grabbing the one she wanted to read. With a soft 'thump', she landed on the bed and her day of reading had officially begun.

She was almost halfway through her book when a knocking on her door shook her from her deep focus. After closing the book and setting it aside she curously approached the door before opening it. No one had ever knocked on her door, so she didn't have a clue as to who it might have been.

Turns out, it was Lauren standing in front of her door. "Everything alright here, Ava?" she asked, confusing her even more.

"Yes, everything is fine. Why?"

"Well, it's just I haven't seen you all day and then you missed dinner as well. I was worried you had gotten sick or something worse," she explained, making Ava turn around to check the small clock on her wall.

8:20 p.m.

It dawned on her that she'd been so into her story, she'd missed dinner. She wasn't sure if she was allowed to make something for herself, her previous employer's didn't. Once you missed a dinner you'd had to wait until breakfast to eat again. So she assumed the same rules applied here.

Not wanting to have Lauren think she's stupid, she lied. "Oh, I already ate dinner in town. Maybe you just didn't see me come in, then?"

"Oh, that's wonderful," the woman in front of her replied as the concern from her face melted away. "I must have missed you then. Well, my apologies for interrupting you, then. Oh, by the way," she said as she turned back to Ava, "Mr. Chastain's aunt is staying over at the moment. She'll need you to bring her a glass of water at exactly 5 a.m. tomorrow morning."

Ava disliked the idea of having to face another guest, but at least it would be a woman this time which usually wasn't as bad. She couldn't really refuse, anyway. Her day off ended at midnight.

"I know you'll have your sleep interrupted so you can start an hour later in the morning but it is very important you bring Ms. Addams her glass of water at exactly 5 o'clock, alright?"

"I will," Ava confirmed with a polite smile.

"Alright, very well. I'll take my leave then, I'll see you tomorrow and I'll leave some breakfast out for you," she said as she turned away.

"See you tomorrow," Ava called after her before closing the door. With a heavy sigh, she plopped down on the bed again. Her stomach chose this exact moment to start grumbling but at least it was better than to have it grumble in front of Lauren.

She decided to sleep early in anticipation of the interruption to her sleeping pattern and set the alarm for 4:45 a.m., giving her time to get dressed into her uniform before bringing the glass of water up.

She understood why this task had been assigned to her, she was the only one who actually slept in the mansion itself. She just really didn't want to wake up in the middle of the night to bring someone a glass of water. Why couldn't she just get one herself? She knew all the guest rooms had their own bathroom. She only needed to bring a glass upstairs.