Chapter 33

Ava expertly brushed the garden path free of dirt and branches while humming to herself. Thoughts of Sébastien filled her head and she quietly smiled to herself.

She hadn't seen him yet today, but she knew it couldn't be long before he turned up again somewhere with that smirk of his and his hands that he couldn't keep to himself. At the very least she'd see him at dinner again, which they always held together lately.

Despite the fact he'd told her he was done with work for a while, he'd been cooped up in his office a suspicious amount of time. It made her fear that he'd only come back here so that she wouldn't have to be in New York City after the scene she'd caused. She didn't want her bad decisions to impact his work and his company but anytime she tried to carefully bring it up he'd assure her he'd finished his projects and was just doing minor work from home.

The sun had finally started to come out and she took a moment to simply enjoy it. The clouds had been a constant companion of hers yet she couldn't bring herself to miss them. It wasn't that hot outside, it was actually pretty cold still. But the sun brought a warm light that made her feel calm and relaxed.

When a strong arm suddenly wrapped around her waist she let out a yelp as she bumped into a large chest. The rumbling laughter that reverberated through the chest gave the identity of the culprit away. "Sébastien," she half-whined while still being held against him. "You scared me."

"I'm sorry," he replied while barely holding in his laughter, telling her that he wasn't that sorry at all. But he did loosen his grip on her waist, allowing her to turn around to face him.

The sunlight in his dark brown eyes brought out the shining gold flecks and briefly distracted her from the conversation that had just started. "It's fine," she replied distractedly. "What's going on?"

He briefly dipped down to kiss her on the lips, but it quickly turned into more as his tongue demanded access, which she freely gave. His soft lips moved in sync with her own and she lost herself in the feeling of his warmth against her skin.

She reached up to cup his jaw and pull him even closer, if that was even possible at all. It was only when a slight breeze brushed her hair that she realized they were still outside, and George or Lauren could see them.

She quickly pulled back, surprising Sébastien. "What's wrong?" he asked, his brows knit together in confusion.

"We're outside," Ava replied, as if that explained anything.

"So?"

"So, someone could see us."

"You're embarrassed by me?"

"Wh—No! No, I didn't mean it like that, I—"

"Ave," he interrupted. "I was joking. You don't have to explain to me why something makes you uncomfortable.

"Oh," she said, now embarrassed.

"I almost forgot, I came here to ask you something."

"What's that?"

"I'm going out to get drinks with some friends tonight, do you want to come?"

"Drinks?" Ava asked uneasily. "I don't think that's a good idea."

"You don't have to drink alcohol if you don't want to. I'll be with you the entire night, I promise. You can invite Everly too if you want, her brother's coming too."

Ava thought about it for a while. If she didn't drink, it may actually turn out to be fun. But last time she didn't want to either and people called her boring for it.

But then again Sébastien wasn't there to help her back then.

"Do I have to decide right now?"

"Of course not. And if you change your mind later that's fine too," he replied while reaching up to brush his fingers against her cheek. She couldn't help but smile up at him. What did she ever do to deserve him?