Chapter 52

"The Pizza Margherita for table 4 is ready," the line cook yelled as he put down the plate before turning back to the other dishes. Expertly, Ava grabbed it as she walked by as well as the other dishes for that table before making her way to the expecting guests.

Dodging moving chairs and other waitstaff was something she had to learn the hard way but she was content with the progress she'd made after not that much time. "There you go," she said politely as she set down the plates. The man in front of her moved a little to the side to give her more space to do so and she shot him a grateful smile.

She wished them a pleasant meal before walking towards a table where a woman was holding up her hand. "What can I get for you?" Ava asked with the same polite smile she always wore during her work hours.

It was the same restaurant as where Everly worked at. Her friend had insisted on finding her some type of other work and despite Ava's assurances that she'd find something herself, she still got her this job. Surprisingly so, because there weren't any indications that the restaurant was looking for new staff in the first place.

But the work wasn't half as bad as she thought it'd be. The thing she was most nervous about was having to talk to all the people all day long but she found herself getting better at it as time went on. She even started to recognize some regulars who'd come in on specific days of the week.

Some of the regulars in her section were Everly's brother Thom and his girlfriend, Alyssa. She knew they always sat in her section just to avoid Everly but she liked having them come by. Alyssa was a very caring person and never failed to ask her how she was doing. Thom was a bit less talkative but she knew he listened closely.

Today, however, she wouldn't find them in her section. They'd gone on a trip to Egypt for three weeks, leaving the house alone to Everly and Ava. Everly had tried to make big plans like throwing a three-day party but quickly backpaddled when she noticed Ava wasn't very responsive to it. She had insisted it was fine, it was her house after all but Everly wouldn't hear of it anymore.

"Hi, could I get some more fries and a coke?" the woman asked after Ava arrived at her table.

"Yes ma'am right away," came her automatic response. It wasn't too busy today, which allowed her to relax a little. But relaxing also meant her mind wouldn't be a hundred percent occupied which meant she'd start thinking about him.

No matter how hard she tried, the hollowness in her chest never failed to return.

At least it had gotten easier to breathe in the weeks that had passed and she was hopeful it would get better still. She had been foolish to allow herself to get caught up with him. From the start, she'd known she wasn't good enough for him but in time she allowed herself to enjoy it anyway and that mistake was all on her.

He'd probably met one of those supermodels in Europe and didn't need her anymore. Who could blame him?

The soda machine whirred to life as she filled the cup with a mixture of corn syrup, flavoring, and water. The murky brown mixture took a second to calm down and what remained was easily recognizable as the most popular soda of them all.

With her other hand, she grabbed a serving of fries and returned to the grateful customer.

Only two more hours until closing, she realized suddenly. She hated getting off work. It meant having an empty mind again and soon enough her mind would return to the same person as always. It was bad enough during the day, but the nights were torturous.

Everly had promised her it would get easier in time, so Ava held on to those words every night.

"What's poppin' A-girl?" Everly's voice rang out while she was getting ready to stack another table's worth of plates. "There's this table in my section and get this; this guy is on his fifth serving of ranch dressing," Everly continued before Ava even had a chance to reply.

The incredulous look Ava gave her made her burst into laughter. "I know right? What does he do with it? Drink it?"

"I don't even know what to say. You better go prepare his next serving of ranch I guess," Ava laughed back at her friend. "Geez, I think you're right. You know what, I'm going to stand next to the entrance so I can see what he's doing with them. Will report back."

And with that, Everly was off again. Now with a mission.

Ava would be lying to herself if she said she wasn't curious about the results. The sauce servings were pretty large as it was and five servings were beyond ridiculous.

She finished stacking the plates and walked back to the kitchen to put them near the dishwasher before walking out again. After a quick glance around her section to ensure no one needed her for anyone she quietly made her way back to the entrance where her friend stood not-so-hidden.

"You couldn't resist could you?" Everly asked smugly as she approached.

"It's not every day you get to witness something like this," Ava defended herself while stopping to stand next to her.

"I just gave him a new serving, so this will be his sixth. His fries are almost gone though so I hope we're on time."

Luckily for them, they definitely were. Within a minute they had to witness the man not just dip some fries or his burger, but his finger in the dressing. And then another. And another. Scooping up ranch dressing as if he was eating whipped cream from a cake.

"Ew," was all Ava could say.

"Ew is an understatement. This is a full-on yikes," Everly replied.

"I think I just spotted someone in my section calling for me. Bye," Ava said before rushing off, having seen enough.

"Coward," she heard Everly call after her. But Ava had no intentions of turning back.

She was almost relieved when the host called for her, giving her genuinely something to do.

"Can you prepare table 12? We just had someone call in and they'll be here soon."

"Of course, right away," Ava replied before turning to get the cutlery and napkins ready. Another guest called for her and she went to them. It was an easy routine to fall into at the restaurant and she worked as many hours as they'd give her.

Everly had warned her not to overwork herself but to Ava, it felt as if she didn't work enough.

Occasionally, she felt the urge to leave town again. She knew she was a burden on Everly and Thom by staying in their home despite their insistence she was not. It was only because of Everly that she stayed but she knew she couldn't live with them forever.

Their parents were supposed to come back from Canada this week but a family emergency made them call to tell the kids they'd be gone for another month. Everly had already assured her their parents were cool with her staying in the guest room but to Ava, it would feel weird to live with a whole family as an outsider.

But there also weren't any apartments in the small town. Just a combination of small to medium-sized homes. And one certain mansion. None of which she could afford to live in.

So mentally, she was preparing herself for the move. She had no idea how she'd break it to Everly yet but she wouldn't have to for at least another few weeks. No doubt her friend would be hurt so the challenge would be making her see why she had to go.

Once a table of guests had left she quickly cleared out their table and cleaned it until spotless. She stepped back to admire her work when she felt a presence come up behind her. Instinctively, she stepped out of the way thinking they needed to walk past her but the presence didn't move at all.

Curious, she turned around without thinking and immediately froze.

"Ava?"

------------------------

Hellooooo there!

Please vote if you liked this chapter! Also, I'd like to hear your thoughts on it :)

Story is almost over so stay tuned!

xx May