Chapter 39

The ride to the hospital was silent, but Sébastien's steel grip on the steering wheel told her everything she needed to know. The worst scenario's possible ran through her mind and she couldn't imagine how he felt right now.

He lost a father before, what if it happened a second time?

She tried to talk to him, but he'd barely respond. Every time she tried to say something to distract him she failed miserably and only received a one-worded answer.

So they settled in silence, each in their thoughts.

The last time they'd been to the hospital together was when she cut her hands on some glass. The situation was silly in retrospect but she remembered how scared she was he'd flip out on her.

If only she knew back then what she knew now.

How gentle he was despite his rugged exterior and the calmness he brought her. How he never even raised his voice against her or how he would unconsciously reach over in his sleep to pull her against his skin.

It hurt her to see him like this especially since she felt so powerless to help him in any way.

When the scenery around them changed into a cityscape she know it was only a matter of time before they reached the hospital. Mostly because he was driving like a madman.

He haphazardly double parked the car before getting out, leaving Ava to quickly scramble after him. The length of his legs allowed him to walk much faster and she had to almost run to keep up.

"Sébastien," she panted after a while. They were almost halfway across the parking lot but she couldn't keep up the speed.

He glanced behind him to look at her and she continued, "Please slow down a little."

"I'm sorry," he replied monotonously while waiting for her to keep up. "Thanks," she panted as he started walking again, much slower this time around.

It was odd to see the hospital during the daytime. It was much busier with all kinds of people and there even was a little gift shop she hadn't noticed before.

They walked straight to the reception desk after entering the building and the receptionist gave them George's room number. She also reminded them that visitor's hours ended in two hours and they'd need to leave before then.

Sébastien immediately set out to walk to the room but Ava stayed behind a second longer to thank the woman for her time before rushing after him again.

The hallways felt endless and every time they reached the end another one appeared. It also didn't help that George's room was practically at the very back of the hospital either. But when they finally did reach it Sebastien stopped.

The door was closed but he made no move to open it, choosing to stare at it instead. There wasn't anything useful she could say right now so she reached for his hand and softly squeezed it. He briefly looked up to throw her a small smile, as if to say 'I'm fine'. Except she knew he wasn't.

She knew he was worried sick and he needed some time to mentally prepare himself. A soft voice from behind them interrupted that, however, as a passing nurse started to talk to them.

"You can visit him, if you want to. I'm afraid he isn't awake at the moment but I'm sure he'll appreciate the support."

"How is he?"

"He's stable right now. We're giving him the rest he needs until the doctor has decided on the right course of action."

"What do you mean? What does he have?" he urged the nurse.