Chapter 53

It had been foolish to think that she wouldn't run into him in his own hometown. Yet somehow it had slipped her mind that this could be a possibility.

She knew she should have left town as soon as she was fired but she had allowed herself to be pulled into something that wasn't her plan yet again. The support Everly had offered her was something she cherished and the thought of leaving Everly as well made her regret staying a little less.

What she couldn't understand was why he was back already. He should've been in Europe for at least a few more weeks. Unless he simply went to Europe to break up with her from a distance and have a nice vacation as well.

But the man in front of her looked anything but well-rested. He looked the worst she'd ever seen him with dull skin and bags under his eyes. He'd grown out his beard a little as well and combined with his slightly too-long hair gave him an unkempt look.

All that still didn't diminish his beauty and the sight of him made her heart rip in two all over again. She felt her knees grow weak and the hollowness in her throat made it very difficult to get the words out.

"I-I'm sorry," she rushed out while taking a step back. Her hand trembled from the panic she felt as she held it up in an apologetic manner. "I'll go—Be somewhere else. I'm sorry," she threw out, turning around to practically run away before he even had the chance to say something else.

"Ava!"

She heard him call her name after her but she was in the kitchen within a few seconds and rushed for the back door. She dodged the chef and almost slipped on some spilled water near the back but otherwise reached the door safely.

Just as she opened it she could hear the chef speak up in his loud booming voice. "Sir you cannot be back here, please go back."

What possible reason he could have had to go after her she couldn't fantom but she didn't waste any time. Warm rain softly splattered against her face but she barely registered any of it.

In the weeks she'd been working at the restaurant she'd found some shortcuts for her walk to work and one of them included taking the back alley behind a row of houses.

That was the route she picked for today and prayed Everly could understand her leaving a bit early today. The walk was a short one but since she'd been practically running she was still out of breath when she arrived. Only to find the familiar black sports car right in front of it with Sébastien now walking towards her.

"Ava, wait," he started as she stopped dead in her tracks. She could hardly run back to the restaurant again since his car was a whole of a lot faster than her legs were. Maybe she'd make a run to the library this time? But he of all people knew how few places there were for her to go. He'd find her in no time again.

"Just help me understand, Ave. What happened to us?" he pleaded as he approached her carefully, fully aware she'd run when startled.

But his words confused her already confused brain even more. Why would he ask her what had happened? She didn't know and had spent a long time trying to stop thinking about it.

It was hard to breathe when he got close to her and she dejectedly noted she'd been crying without her knowledge. It was all too much.

Her body urged her to move forward. To reach out and touch his face and his soft hair. But she couldn't. He hated her.

But that hate wasn't visible in his dark eyes. Just... Distress?

She couldn't quite place the emotion but she also didn't want to keep looking at him. It reminded her of all she'd lost.

"Ave?" he repeated softly when she didn't reply.

"You left."

It was barely a whisper but he'd understood perfectly. Dumbfounded, he took a step back before collecting himself. "For a few weeks. I offered to take you, even, but you declined."

"No. You left me," she clarified, a little louder this time around. "And now you're here asking me what happened to us when you never gave me a reason in the first place. I'm sorry I wasn't enough for you and I'm sorry for still being here but I have friends here now."

"Ave," he started while stepping forward, causing Ava to take a step back before she continued.

"I just wish you could've told me in person. Maybe I could've put it behind me then and move on. But I wasn't worth that to you and you've left me a mess. Do you know how hard it's been for me? And the moment I get my life back on track a little you show up again to smash my heart in pieces all over again. I cannot t--"

"I didn't leave you," Sébastien interrupted exasperated. "Why would I?" he added a little softer. She could see how frustration had taken over his expressions while he looked at her.

Her head started pounding at his confession. He did leave her. She wasn't crazy. The more she tried to make sense of it the more lost she got. "You did leave me."

"Then why would I be here right now?" he asked while throwing up his hands. "Ave, I don't know what happened but I swear we'll figure it out alright? It doesn't have to be like this. And I definitely never meant for us to split. Just... Give me another chance? We can figure it out together."

Her head still hurt which made processing the words infinitely more difficult. He wanted another chance with her. But why? Why her? She wasn't worth his time, she'd come to learn. It was hard to come to terms with the fact she was so far below him but it had been something she'd been working on and accepted.

She'd made a mistake thinking he of all people would value her in any way but she had learned from it. Never would she make that same mistake again, she'd promised herself.

But why did she want to say yes? Yes, to figuring out what had happened. Yes, to pretending none of this ever happened.

It would only set her up for failure again, she knew. Maybe he hadn't meant to break up with her when he did but she knew one day he would. And then she'd have to experience this heartbreak all over again.

"Ava, please," he practically begged her. She didn't know when he'd walked up to her all the way but he now stood right in front of her. His wet hair clung to his face and his clothes were soaked. She doubted she looked much different.

"Maybe... It's better like this," she whispered, knowing he could hear it clear enough. "Now you can find someone better suited for you. Someone who isn't just, I don't know... me."

"Please don't tell me you still don't think you're good enough," he pressed, his tone desperate. "I thought I'd made it clear I wanted you.

Fuck, I've only ever wanted you since the first time we met. I fucking love you, Ave. I could spend the rest of my life with you and die a happy man. It's been killing me not knowing where you were or whether you were even somewhere safe. So please don't leave me again."

Tears ran down her face, mixing with the droplets falling from the skies. His confessions had touched her very soul. She knew her heart was winning out over her brain but how could she choose anything else?

"No, you don't leave me again."

---------------------------------------------

He's back!!

What did you think of this chapter? Is she going to be able to trust him again? I'd love to hear where you guys think they stand right now :)

Don't forget to vote if you want to!

xx May