Fishing

Third Person POV:
Word Count: 1,065
Spooktober 2022 Day Fifteen: Hooked

"Can I please go with you guys," Morgan whined, standing on the doc.

Sighing, Tony closed the tackle box. "No, not today, Morgana." He turned, making sure he had the life vests with him as well. Two of them. Perfect.

Morgan sighed very loudly as she crossed her arms over her chest. "Pleaseeeeee? I'll be quiet this time, I promise! I won't scare the fishies away!" She uncrossed her arms and gestured to Peter. "Why can he go and I can't? He's louder than me and you combined!"

Snorting, Peter quickly turned away and covered his mouth and nose with his mouth. He was trying to hide his laugh and lower it to where Morgan couldn't hear it. He learned very quickly when spending time with Tony that when he was 'arguing' with Morgan, the only proper time to laugh was after.

Again, Tony sighed. He stepped off the boat and kneeled down to Morgan's level. "I'm going to be honest with you." He peaked over at Peter and turned back to Morgan. "While he is pretty loud sometimes, he can also be very quiet. Plus, we need an afternoon with just the two of us. Just us boys." He kissed Morgan's head and stood up with a small grunt. "Why don't you see if Mommy will let you have a juice pop and watch Frozen 2 in the living room?"

With a gasp of delight, Morgan's mood was changed. "Okay! Have fun," she said before running off towards the house.

Tony watched Morgan running to the house until she made it safely inside. Then he turned to Peter, smiling. "You ready to go," he asked, a smile across his face.

"Yeah," Peter said with a smile.

And so they were off. They were going deeper into the lake so they could catch some good fish. That was something that surprised Peter. With Tony's lifestyle before the snap, fishing never really was something that Peter could ever see Tony doing. The first time that Tony had brought it up, Peter laughed out loud. He really thought it was a joke. When he realized that it wasn't his laughter quickly died and agreed to go fishing with him. Those trips were fun. Peter wasn't the best fisher, but Tony really enjoyed trying to teach the kid.

This was the first time that they were going off of the dock though. Tony thought that Peter was ready for it. The kid had been doing really good on the doc as of recently. He actually caught a trout big enough for them to eat, and boy did that make Peter happy. Tony would give anything in the world to see that same smile on Peter's face again. He was so happy.

It didn't take long for them to reach the center of the lake. The lakehouse was just a dot. It was probably a mile away from them. Not ideal in an emergency situation, but they weren't thinking about that. They were too busy thinking about fishing.

"You go ahead and get the bait out. I'm going to make sure the rods are all ready to use," Tony said after, essentially, putting the boat in park. He got up and started making his way towards the rods while Peter maneuvered around him, grabbing the bait from the cooler. They had a couple different things to use as bait. Your typical worms, some crayfish and some crickets. Peter really wasn't a huge fan of baiting the hook, but still, he would do it. Once the god awful crunch was done, he would be okay.

After setting all the bait choices out, he turned to Tony. He just finished putting one of the rods together. He held it out to Peter. "Why don't you get started on fishing while I re-hook my line. I think I snapped my hook somehow."

Peter nodded. "Sure, yeah." Grabbing his rod from Tony, he walked over and baited his hook. He just used a worm, not really in the mood to experiment with the other baits right now. He was fine with the worms. They didn't really make a crunching sound. He then walked towards the edge of the boat, casting his line into the water. With a plop, his line was in the water.

Sitting down on the edge, Peter watched his bobber move with the current. Tony told Peter that he didn't want Peter to use a bobber forever, and Peter was fine with that. He just liked to watch them in the water. He didn't really need to see the bobber. He could always feel when the fish started nibbling at his line. Enhanced senses and everything.

That was probably a reason that Peter was so good at fishing. He could sense a lot more than the average person could. Maybe that's why he caught a fish before Tony had even finished hooking his rod.

"Nice, kid," Tony said with a smile. He got into the tool box quickly, pulling out his measuring tape. "Awesome. Big enough for us to keep. Want to pull the hook out and put it in a bag? Or do you want me to do it," he asked, already starting to walk back over to his own little station.

"No, it's fine. I can do it." Peter walked to the tackle box, grabbing the pliers and a plastic bag. He put the fish in the plastic bag after he pulled his hook out of it, zipping the bag closed before re-baiting his hook and tossing his line back into the water.

Soon enough, Tony was joining him. Tony caught fish just as quickly as Peter did. The fish were biting today, which was perfect for them. It was leading them to a fishing trip gone right. It meant they would be having a good dinner tonight.

As the day went on, they fished until they hit the max amount of fish they could have. That was fine. Perfect. A successful trip!

What was even better was that the two of them had fun. They didn't have to talk to have fun. They didn't have to have a near death experience. None of that. All they had to do was sit there in silence and hold their rods out, occasionally quietly cheering for the other one when they caught a fish.

Yeah. That was perfect for them.

That's it for this chapter! Remember to drink some water, eat something, take medicine (if you have to), and rest today. You did a good job and I am proud of you :)
Till next time
- Storm