The crushing weight of the world

Third Person POV: 
Word Count: 9,199
(A/n: The song Tired by Beabadoobee was what initially inspired this and I really think you should listen to it while reading/before you read/after you read. It is a really good song and it kind of just matches the mood of this).

Peter knows not to believe everything on the internet. He knows that there are a lot of fake people out there spreading false information. He knows what sites he can trust and which ones he can't. He knows that you can trust a website that is .org more than you can trust a .com. He also knows to never, ever trust what you read on wikipedia. It was just common sense. But, sometimes, the internet was the only place he could get information from. Whether it would be information about how to stitch up a knife wound, an easier formula for his algebra class, or even some sort of article to read so he could gain more knowledge. Peter likes to ask the internet his deepest, darkest questions. Some of them are dumb, but others are really deep. It all depends on Peter's move.

As Peter sits on top of his high school building, he pulls out his phone and opens google. He pauses, looking up at the view before he searches anything. There isn't anything really special to him about this view. You could get a better view of New York from anywhere. The Empire State Building, the Chrysler Building, hell, even Stark Tower. Well, it isn't really Stark Tower anymore, but you get the point. But, for Peter, this place just screamed comfort. It was a place of sanctuary for him. And he really needed that right now. He took a deep breath, taking the view in before looking back down at his phone. Then, he Googled the question that was bothering him the most right now.

"What do you do when you feel like the world is crashing down on you?"

He got over seven-hundred-million results in less than a second. He was unsure how to feel about that. Do people often google things like this? Maybe. Maybe not. Peter would never know. Besides, he was Googling it, so why should be he surprised other people were Googling it? Instead of thinking about that, he looked at the results. The first result was an article. "10 Things To Do When It Feels Like Your World Is Crashing Down." He didn't want to read that for two reasons. First, because it wasn't just his world that was crashing down onto him, it was everyone else's world too. Second, because the seventh item on the list suggested that he eat popcorn and drink wine. He didn't see how drinking alcohol underage or getting popcorn kernels stuck in between your teeth would help the world from crashing down onto him.

The second result was from Quora. He debated clicking on the link for a laugh, but in the end he didn't. He didn't really trust Quora all too much. The one time he looked up how to watch a movie illegally on there and the instructions led him to a rainbow cat video that lasted for over three hours. It was ridiculous. He didn't really trust Quora after that. And he never got to watch that movie.

The third result was from a magazine. "21 Things You Need To Remember When It Feels Like Your World Is Crashing Down." He glanced over the article quickly. It was much more positive than the first result. But, it also said "your world" rather than "the world." Peter felt the need to clarify to the website that, again, it wasn't just his world crashing down onto him. It was everyone else's world. It was the world's world crashing down onto him and running him down into the ground. He still read the website, looking from line to line to see if anything caught his eye. And something did. "Don't push people away." Peter sighed.

Something happened between Ned and Peter almost two months ago. Peter walked into school like it was any other day. He walked to his locker and started getting his stuff into it and taking it out. Then he closed it, waiting for Ned to come. It was what they did every morning. Peter and Ned's locker's weren't far from each other, but they weren't close to each other either. His locker was down and halfway across the hall from Peter's. So, they would meet at Peter's locker because it was closer to their physics class, which was the class they started out their morning with. But, Peter sighed and started walking to class after the first bell rang, realizing that Ned wasn't coming to his locker. He just assumed that Ned was sick.