Snow fight (❤️)

Opal nestled up against the bank, taking a small breather from the attack from before. The dragonet quietly went back to work yet again, grabbed chunks of the snow from around her and forming them into clumps to throw at her opponent, Princess Baltic. It was tiring after a while, creating ammunition, going out in the open, exchanging hits, then retreating back to their own end.

But it was still fun. Both her and Baltic enjoyed these games of 'Snow War' as they'd call it. A break from both of their duties as first-circle dragons to play and have fun in the courtyard.

They'd been at this for nearly an hour now, and Opal was really feeling exhausted by then. It was most visible in her snowballs, looking more like a mere cluster of slush than a sphere. She didn't care. Baltic wouldn't have cared either. They'd just be destroyed in a matter of seconds regardless.

After making a couple more snowballs, the slate white IceWing bounced upward and moved stealthily towards Baltic's base. Both had divided up the courtyard into two parts for this game, separated by the Gift of Light; a beautiful tree that rested in the middle of the frosty garden. She crept by the hollyberry bushes, not caring if she was 'ruining the harvest' or anything like that.

She was the court animus who was best friends with the only royal heir. She could get away with anything.

She gripped the snow in her talons and made her way closer and closer to the border, finally reaching the Gift of Light. The tree was unique in the sense where it looked like a campfire, the main trunk branching off and coiling high into the sky like it were a fire that was frozen in time. The silver bark glittered from the bright light radiating from the dangling moon globes. A breath-taking sight if Opal decided to stop and admire it.

But now was not the time. It was time to get back at Baltic and finally win this war.

Opal wasn't too great at this game. She was too analytical and cautious, something the more chaotic and unpredictable Baltic would take advantage of. However, this time she'd get the drop on the princess. She couldn't wait to see her face when she launches at her with a surprise attack. It'd be hilarious. 

She stepped over the imaginary border without a second thought, retreating to the bushes for cover. Knowing Baltic, she'd be hiding behind the Gift of Order. It's a giant wall that would've given her so much protection, almost too much. It was far too obvious of a hiding spot, which made all the more sense for the heir to hide there.

She thought she could've outsmarted Opal? There was no chance for that.

The two-year-old dragonet came closer and closer to the edge of the garden, the Gift of Order just in sight. A massive wall with hundreds of names carved onto signs, all neatly displayed in a descending order from the best of the first circle to the worst of the seventh circle. Intricate designs like snowflakes and the tribe's emblem were etched into it, probably from the same animus who conjured it up all those years ago.

Opal never quite got the point of the circles. It could be because it was boring grown-up dragon stuff, but even then, from what she understood from it just made it look silly and stupid from all angles. Were dragons really that faithful in a system that would treat others better than most? It didn't take a genius to see the faults in it, yet everyone still remained. 

Why was that? Was it because their parents told them to have blind faith in it? That's what Opal's parents would always say to her. Why would you put so much of your heart into something like that?

She never was like the rest of the IceWings that way, having so much trust into something or someone. 

Yet, others would do the same. It was surprising how much the dragons, dragonets and adults alike, just take what she says at face-value and never question it. She was a good liar, she knew that much, but even then, it was almost shocking how easy it was to convince even somebody like General Musk that something like a fox came in and ate Baltic's desert.

Whatever. Even if the circles were there simply because 'it's tradition and a superior way of living', the most they really meant to Opal in that moment was that Baltic was definitely hiding behind the Gift of Order.

She encroached more and more onto the wall, quickly running up and pressing up against the side. She held her breath as a wicked smile formed on her face. She readied her supply of snowballs, then turned the corner.

"Take that!" she yelled, throwing the snowball without a second thought. A surge of adrenaline and happiness was just barely about to hit, waiting for the moment to hear Baltic's surprised scream.

But it never came.

Opal lowered her guard a bit as she looked around, realizing that Baltic wasn't there to begin with. Just an empty space between the fence and the wall.

"What th-" she began before being quickly cut off by what sounded to be a war cry. She jerked her head around just in time to take a full blast of snow directly to her face.

"Ha ha! I got you!" a familiar voice cackled. The animus wiped the snow out of her eyes just enough to get a glimpse of her attacker.

It was Princess Baltic.

"No fair!" Opal cried out.

"Yes it is fair! All is fair in blood and war, isn't that what they say?"

"Love and war," she corrected.

"Whatever, all the same." The princess grabbed at the ground, pulling up another clump of snow.

"Oh no you don't!" Opal lunged at Baltic, knocking her over. The two engaged in a small playfight, rolling around violently in the snow as they kicked and clawed at one another. Their blows weren't strong enough to draw blood or break bones, but maybe cause a bruise that would last for the rest of the afternoon. It still hurt, of course, but it was still fun regardless.