Poor Asha (💔🩹🫀💀)

"For our challenger, we have a MudWing who has been around soon to be legendary dragons. Or soon to be legendary disasters as they all meet their fates in this arena. She has raised the legendary Dragonets Of Destiny for six whole years as one of their caretakers, give it up for Assshaa of the MudWings!" the SkyWing announcer called out to the arena. Clay watched in terror as the SkyWing guards tossed Asha to the ground and quickly flew away.

"Okay... Arena fight," Clay began to analyze the situation. "Asha is going to fight somebody. S-she'll probably be fine. Asha is strong." he tried to convince himself. He watched as Asha stood up and looked around at the arena, before turning to look up at the pillars.

"And now, as requested by the eternally beautiful Queen Scarlet herself, we bring to you out CHAMPION!" the announcer roared. The crowded cheered and the sounds of excited roars and claps rang through the arena.

"Champion?..." Clay didn't quite know what it meant, but he could tell it wasn't good.

"Hatched only seven years ago and has been in this arena ever since she was three, this dragon surely is one to be feared. She has been the undefeated champion for many of years, and surely this will be another victory for her. You know her, you all fear her, give it up for the Eternal Flame Peeerrill!"

The gates underneath the queen's perch open up and a dragon emerged from it. At first glance it looked as though it was just another SkyWing, but Clay began to notice other things. He could see a bit of distortion coming around them, the sand of the arena warping. It's copper orange scales also gave Clay a weird feeling, even if he had been underground for many years he knew most SkyWings shouldn't really look like that.

"Who will win? Well, if you ask me it's probably the undefeated champion." the announcer joked, filling the arena with laughter. Clay looked down and saw Asha scowl at Scarlet with an expression he rarely ever saw on her. It was as if all of the life and joy she ever had was stripped away from her and replaced with the same malice and hate of Kestrel.

"Just get on with it, Vermillion!" Scarlet yelled.

"Oh, yes. Sorry your majesty," Vermillion apologized, clearing his throat. "Claws out, fire ready, FIGHT!" The announcer flew up as soon as soon as he finished and began to circle around the arena.

Clay watched as both dragons stared at each other, Asha growling at the champion. They were walking in a circle, waiting for one of them to finally make a move.

Suddenly, Asha leaped towards the SkyWing, aiming for its wings. However, the SkyWing dodged the attack and leapt towards Asha. The champion swiped at Asha's chest, cutting into it.

Asha screeched in pain, causing Clay to flinch. He never heard Asha scream like that before. He tried to look closer at the SkyWing, trying to see what they were all about. The distortion around them was still there, but Clay could notice something else coming from the scales.

Steam.

Asha shook her head and once more went for the champion's wings, actually scratching into them a bit. However, Asha retaliated in pains and looked at her claws; as though scratching the dragon herself was causing her great pain.

Suddenly, the champion began to race towards Asha as she was distracted by her claws. Clay watched in terror as the dragon placed her claws on Asha's neck, almost strangling her. Asha began to cry in pain as Clay tried to shield his eyes from the battle.

"Tear her to shreds!"
"Slice her neck!"
"Throw her around!" the crowd roared. The champion looked up towards Scarlet, almost waiting for something. Scarlet then took one of her talons, brought it close to her neck, and swiped it across.

"Oh no no no!" Clay realized what was about to happen, but he was powerless to do so. He fought against his restraints, but they were too tight on him.

The champion nodded as they turned back to Asha, tears in her eyes. Then, just as how Clay dreaded, the SkyWing slashed across Asha's neck. This time, Asha made no noise; instead she looked up to the sky. Clay could see the expression clear as day on her face, one of sorrow and regret.

Clay felt... Empty. He looked down at his mother in disbelief. She... She couldn't be dead, right? Asha is too strong to be dead. He thought of all of those memories with her, those stories she would tell, those times she played hide and seek, everything. Clay tried to desperately cling onto those childhood memories, now more than ever realizing the value of them.

The SkyWing stood up from Asha, letting her fall lifelessly to the floor. "And there you have it folks, once more the undefeated champion wins once more!"

Clay felt tears run down his face as he looked around the pillars, trying to find Tsunami and Starflight. He saw Tsunami looking down at her talons, her eyes closed. To his left he saw Starflight covering his eyes with his talons, trying to block out to view.

As Clay looked down one last time, he saw something strange about Asha's corpse. While infinitely disturbing to see his dead mother laying there, he saw the slash marks. The blood that was spouting from the wounds were boiling, and at that moment it all clicked.

The champion, Peril, has flaming scales.