Melo 26

Even with a brutal hangover weighing me down, life had to roll on. I dove into my work with a fierce determination, adopting a "Don't mess with me" attitude. I buried myself in a mountain of unresolved cases, trying to distract myself from the mess my personal life had become. But then, like a burst of sunshine on a cloudy day, Asemahle sauntered in with lunch. I wasn't exactly in the mood for her bubbly energy and well-meaning lectures, but I didn't really have a choice in the matter.

"Hey, twinny," she chirped, her smile infectious.

"If you're here to give me a lecture, save it," I grumbled, not in the mood for pleasantries.

"What's wrong with you? I just brought you lunch, that's all," she replied, her tone gentle as she cleared my cluttered desk to make space for our meal.

"I'm sorry," I muttered, feeling guilty for snapping at her.

"Rough night?" she asked sympathetically, handing me my takeout and a fork before settling down with her own meal.

"You have no idea," I sighed, feeling the weight of the previous night's drama bearing down on me.

"What happened?" she inquired, concern evident in her voice.

"Kate broke up with me," I confessed, the words tasting bitter on my tongue.

"What? Why?" she exclaimed, her eyes widening in disbelief.

"Lathitha happened," I explained bitterly, feeling a surge of anger at the mention of her name.

"Who's Lathitha?" Asemahle questioned, her curiosity piqued.

"A mistake. We had sex, and she sent nude pictures to Kate. Like, what the fuck?" I ranted, frustration bubbling to the surface.

"You're kidding me, right?!" Asemahle gasped, shaking her head in disbelief.

"I wish. Please don't lecture me," I pleaded, not in the mood for a lecture on my poor life choices.

"I have no intentions to. It's men like you that remind me why I'm better off single and a virgin," she quipped, her words cutting through the tension with a touch of humor.

"Better stay like that," I replied, feeling a pang of regret for dragging her into my mess.

"Anyway, our birthday is back on," she announced, changing the subject with a hopeful smile.

"Great," I replied, trying to muster some enthusiasm despite my sour mood.

"I need a list of people you want to invite," she continued, her eyes sparkling with excitement.

"You know all my people," I shrugged, feeling indifferent about the guest list.

"Yes, but I was hoping you had some new names to add. Like Kate or Yaya," she suggested, her optimism unwavering.

"I don't want any of them there," I stated firmly, not wanting to deal with the awkwardness of seeing my ex and the girl who'd caused all this drama.

"Sadly, Yaya is my friend, and she'll most definitely be there for the whole weekend," Asemahle declared, her tone final.

"Seriously, Melody?" I groaned, rolling my eyes at her stubbornness.

"Yes," she replied, her tone leaving no room for argument.

We finished our lunch, exchanging light banter and sharing laughs despite the heaviness of the situation. As Asemahle left, I couldn't help but feel a bit lighter. She had a way of lifting my spirits, even in the darkest of times.