Yaya 25

It was a crisp Monday morning, and the absence of Melokuhle's persistent messages brought a sense of relief. Gathering my courage, I decided to reach out to my father, whom I had never met before. Siya, my ever-loyal friend, agreed to accompany me, ensuring safety in an uncertain world.

We arrived at the Spur around 10 am, choosing a table strategically placed with a view. Siya stationed herself discreetly nearby, ready to intervene if needed. Spotting him wasn't difficult; his WhatsApp profile picture had provided a visual clue. I approached him with a hesitant smile.

"Hi, I'm Yandiswa Gxaba," I introduced myself, extending my hand. He rose from his seat, returning the gesture.

"Hi. I'm Thando Bashe," he replied, his gaze meeting mine. I couldn't deny the resemblance between us; he possessed the same captivating eyes, a trait I inherited from him.

As we settled at the table, a waitress appeared to take our order. Opting for just water, I wasn't in the mood for food. Thando ordered a meal, and once the waitress departed, I cut straight to the chase.

"I don't know the protocol for these things, so forgive me," I began tentatively.

"What things?" he inquired, his brow furrowing with curiosity.

"This situation. I'll be direct. Do you know Babalwa Gxaba from Mthatha?" I asked, bracing myself for his response.

"Yes, I know her," he admitted reluctantly.

"I'm her daughter," I revealed, watching his reaction closely.

"Oh, okay... I'm not sure what to say," he confessed, his tone guarded.

"Why is that?" I pressed, seeking clarity.

"I don't know," he evaded, his discomfort palpable.

"Did you know you have a daughter who just turned 18 on the 15th of this month?" I revealed, trying to gauge his level of involvement.

"I never really thought about it. A lot was happening then," he admitted, his tone tinged with regret.

"Early 1996, she fell pregnant with me... Gave birth in November. You two had a memorable Valentine's, I assume," I remarked, tracing the timeline of our intertwined lives.

"Yes, I'm aware of that," he acknowledged tersely.

"Now what?" I questioned, feeling a mix of apprehension and anticipation.

"Too much happened that I don't really want to get into," he deflected, his walls firmly in place.

"What do you mean, 'now what'?" he countered, his tone defensive.

"Nice to meet you, by the way," I added, trying to maintain civility.

"I mean, you know me now. You know about my existence. Now what?" I clarified, hoping for some resolution.

"Oh, really? You've just met me. I might not be what you're hoping for in a father," he remarked, his words stinging with cynicism.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I demanded, my patience wearing thin.

"Just a statement. As for your question, I just heard from you just now. You don't really expect an answer as to 'what now,' do you?" he retorted, his arrogance grating on my nerves.

"So, you agree that I'm your daughter?" I pressed, refusing to be dismissed.

"Tshin, uyandi tester kanti?" he accused, his tone accusatory.

"No, I'm not. I just want to know that you acknowledge and accept me as your daughter. Am I wrong for wanting to know who my father is?" I challenged, frustration bubbling to the surface.