Yaya 15

Last night was a whirlwind of emotions. The Bess family wrapped me in their warmth, making me feel like I belonged. After Melo dropped me off, I retreated to my room, hoping sleep would drown out the memory of our unexpected kiss. It shouldn't have happened. But as dreams of Melokuhle danced in my head, I was abruptly awoken by none other than Naledi, leaping onto my bed with all the grace of a five-year-old.

"What do you want, Naledi?" I groaned, my voice muffled by sleep.

"Wake up, honey, I miss you!" she chirped, her enthusiasm infectious.

"Go away, I'm tired," I protested, burying myself deeper under the covers.

"Oh well, I guess I'll have to eat this Lindt chocolate alone," she teased, dangling the temptation in front of me.

"Okay, okay, I'm up," I relented, unable to resist the lure of my favorite treat.

Naledi knew me too well—Lindt and Magnum were my weaknesses. With a grin, she crawled under the covers beside me, clutching the box of chocolates.

"So, spill the beans," I prompted, eager for details of her escapades.

"Last night was amazing!" she exclaimed, her eyes sparkling with excitement.

"You certainly look like it was amazing. What happened?" I pressed, unable to contain my curiosity.

"We made love," she confessed, her cheeks flushing with happiness.

"You really like this one, huh?" I observed, noting the bliss written all over her face.

"You have no idea, friend. He's moving to Durban next year—not for me, but because he's been wanting to come back here for a while," she revealed, her voice tinged with anticipation.

As she recounted her night of romance, I couldn't help but feel a twinge of envy. While friends could bring happiness, there was a special kind of joy that only a lover could inspire. I hugged her tightly, genuinely happy for her newfound happiness.

"So, are you clearing the roster?" I teased, knowing her penchant for variety.

She nodded, a radiant smile gracing her lips. The last time I saw her this happy was... well, I couldn't even remember. I kissed her cheek affectionately, basking in her glow.

"I can't breathe," she protested, squirming in my embrace.

"I don't care. I'm happy for you," I declared, unwilling to let her go.

After a moment, she managed to extricate herself, laughing at my antics.

"You're trying to kill me, aren't you?" she accused, playfully swatting my arm.

"This means you'll stop whoring around, right?" I teased, half-jokingly.

"That's if he provides and takes care of my every need," she quipped, her playful tone masking a hint of seriousness.

"I make no promises," she added with a mischievous glint in her eye.

"Whatever," I replied, rolling my eyes but secretly pleased that she had found someone who made her so happy.

As we headed to the kitchen to make breakfast, the mood shifted when Anita walked in, her disheveled appearance speaking volumes.

"Well, somebody didn't come home last night," Naledi remarked, unable to resist a dig.

"Not now, Ledi, please. I'm tired," Anita pleaded, sinking onto a chair at the counter.

"Breakfast?" I offered, hoping to diffuse the tension.