Yaya 5

So, my mom rocked up at our doorstep unannounced as usual. On my birthday, she always took me out, like clockwork. I thought this tradition would end with me studying in Durban, but nope, Dr. Gxaba didn't roll like that. Of course, I was thrilled to see her, even though we had a session that morning. I missed her—she's my mummy dearest, after all. We headed out to Gateway Spur for breakfast, where the waitress led us to a cosy table for two.

"You look beautiful," I said, genuinely admiring her.

"Thank you, baby. You're not so bad yourself," she replied with a playful smile.

"Oh, come on, don't be like that."

"You know I don't like these crop tops you wear," she chided.

"But, Mom, my jeans cover my belly. Chill."

"Fine," she conceded, then nodded towards a guy across the room. "Do you know that guy over there?"

"What guy?" I asked, glancing around.

"The one who's had his eye on you since we walked in."

Suddenly, I was worried. What if it was my ex, the idiot who broke my heart after four years together? I scanned the room and met Melokuhle's gaze. He quickly looked away when he saw me see him.

"Oh, him," I muttered.

"He's cute," Mom said with a teasing grin.

"We are so not doing this," I groaned.

"What?" she asked innocently.

"You're my mother, and I'm not going to discuss boys with you."

"Do you at least know him?" she pressed.

"Yes. He walked in on me naked this morning," I confessed, watching her jaw drop.

"Relax, we didn't do anything. He and I don't even know each other well. I met him at my party last night, and he's a jerk. This morning, he came to fetch his sister at our place and happened to leave his shades on my dressing table. So, relax."

"I've told you countless times to go with a big towel when you shower," she said, shaking her head.

"Yeah, but I don't do it anyway because I believe in this thing called knocking, which he didn't do."

"Still, whether the room is yours or not, always wrap a towel around your body. You never know what might happen."

"I'm not making any promises, but I'll try it out."

"I don't know whose child you are, shame," she sighed.

I smiled. "You know exactly who."

"Whatever," she said, rolling her eyes.

Our waitress brought our orders, and we started eating. After a while, I excused myself to go pee and ran into Asemahle in the loo.

"Hey, you clean up pretty well," she greeted me.

"Hey, you. Thanks, just trying to keep up with you."

"So, who did you come here with?" she asked.

"My mom. You?"

"The whole family, except my sister," she replied.

"How is she?"

"Not good. This is taking a toll on her."

"I can only imagine. Again, I'm sorry for your loss."

"No biggie. So, where are you and your mom sitting?"

"Actually, not too far from you guys."

"How do you know where we're sitting?"

"I saw your brother."