Melo 2

Feeling defeated in my attempts to rein in my sister's excessive drinking habits, I resigned myself to staying put at the party. Despite not being particularly fond of the scene, I found myself surprisingly content amidst the lively atmosphere. These university kids certainly knew how to throw a party, and I couldn't help but get swept up in the excitement.

My sister, surrounded by a group of friends including Siya, Athi, Yandiswa, and a few others I didn't recognize, lounged nearby with a hookah pipe in the center, drinks in hand. Yandiswa caught my eye—undeniably beautiful, with an air of mystery that piqued my interest. Yet, beneath her allure, there lingered a hint of immaturity that didn't quite sit right with me. I've never been one for childish antics.

I am Melokuhle Derrick Bess, son of the illustrious Amahle Ngesi Bess and Damon Bess. Approaching my twentieth year this December, allow me to introduce you to the life of the esteemed Amahle and Damon Bess's progeny. It's not all sunshine and rainbows, mind you, but we soldier on regardless. Currently, I'm navigating the treacherous waters of law at UKZN Howard, following in my father's footsteps. It wasn't exactly my dream career path, but being the sole male heir amidst a sea of sisters, I didn't have much say in the matter. Someone's got to carry on the BESS legacy once my father's reign comes to an end, after all.

The weight of the Bess surname comes with its fair share of burdens. To avoid the constant scrutiny of the media, I go by Melokuhle Ngesi on Instagram—a small attempt at maintaining some semblance of privacy. My sister's descent into heavy drinking didn't happen overnight. It was the tragic loss of our grandmother Bomi that sent her spiraling. Bomi and Grandpa Daniel perished in a car crash on their way to Mthatha following Iyana's birthday dinner, leaving a void in our lives that we've struggled to fill ever since. Mum took it especially hard, retreating into herself until the funeral. Witnessing her pain was gut-wrenching, to say the least.

But enough about my family woes. I needed a momentary escape, so I wandered over to the bar for some solace. It wasn't long before an old friend, Bonke, sidled up beside me, ready to shoot the breeze.

"Hey, buddy," he called out as he approached me, a mischievous glint in his eye.

"Hey, what's up?" I replied, sliding my shades down to meet his gaze.

"I should be asking you that. You're the one wearing shades indoors," he teased, a smirk playing on his lips.

"The son of Damon Bess needs to keep a low profile at all times," I quipped back, trying to keep things light.

"Your low profile will be the reason you die single and alone, asshole," he retorted, his tone playful but tinged with genuine concern.

"Hahaha, how's the Mrs?" I deflected, eager to steer the conversation away from my love life—or lack thereof.

"She's great actually. Annoying at times but great," he replied with a chuckle. "When is the mighty Melo getting into a serious relationship?"

"Now I know you're drunk when you start asking me shiit like that," I laughed, shaking my head.

"What is it with you and relationships?" he persisted, his curiosity getting the better of him.

"Look at the life you're living and tell me that you're really happy with the way things are," I challenged, gesturing towards him and his girlfriend, Anita. They've been together for a year now, and despite Anita's quirks, Bonke adored her. It was something I admired, even if I didn't fully understand it.

"I'm happy. I'm with the girl of my dreams," he insisted, his conviction unwavering.

"And sex?" I prodded, unable to resist pushing his buttons.