Chapter 34

The rituals had begun since the morning. After some minor rituals, it was now time for the harder ones.

As the female relatives surrounded me with teasing explanations of all rituals, I could only feel my heart thump.

What's going on? Why? Where is this going? I have stoped caring about myself but what'd these people think of Eshaanvi's family after one year, did bother me.

Of course, Rahul's gonna be happy with his true love. But, what about others? Aunty? Uncle? Eshaanvi? Bhavna Tai?

My head started spinning as Preethi draped my saree.

'Attige, you're okay?' Preethi, one of Rahul's cousin asked, looking at my face.

I forced a smile on my face. 'I'm fine. Just a little nervous..'

'Kavya, this could also be a result of you being left without a drop of water since morning.' Bhavna Tai said. 'I don't care what people say, I'm getting a glass of glucose for you.' She said, trying to get out..

'Tai...please..I'm fine..' I tried to stop her but someone was even more bothered than me.

'Of course, modern intellectual girls like you don't believe in these things, Bhavna! But, let Kavya follow it at least.' Madam Magistrate said.

Bhavna Tai looked at her pissed.

Oh God! This cold war between the two is getting worse with time! I feel scared sometimes.

'... and how will the rituals help her if she collapses to death?' Bhavna Tai argued.

'Tai, I'm fine.' I tried to stop her from speaking more.

'... who dies while fasting for 11 hours? This isn't even a traditional marriage. They've 24 hours fasting for that and in Catholic Christianity, we fast in every lent.' Madam Magistrate pointed.

'... but, water! Seriously!!' Bhavna Tai's eyes widened.

'Aunty, Tai... please stop. Fasting during a ritual has its own advantage, Tai.' I trued to cool things down. '... and it has its scientist validation too.' I said. 'Bhavna Tai just cares for me a lot, Aunty. That's why she's tensed. Please, don't mind her.' I said trying to convince.

Madam Magistrate rolled her eyes. 'Whatever you say..  Kavya, Bhavna should at least learn all this before her own marriage!' She said.

Bhavna Tai chuckled, sarcastically though. 'Aww...Aunty! Don't worry! I'll practice that with you after the reception is done.' She said.

'Bhavna... you all are here! And why is Kavya isn't ready yet?' Astha Mami entered the room. 'Preethi, Bhavna... please help her..' she said. '... and Jayanthi ji... uh... have a look on them.' She said not knowing what to say.

^^^^

'Damn! You look so pretty! Let me take a picture!' Bhavna Tai said, opening her phone.

I looked at the camera smiling awkwardly.

'Now selfie with me.' Bhavna Tai said. 'Preethi, wanna join?' She asked.

Meanwhile, Madam Magistrate cleared her throat. 'Didn't Astha say that we are getting late?' She said, sarcastically from near the door.

Bhavna Tai rolled her eyes. 'If it wasn't a holy occasion in the house, I swear...' she whispered gritting her teeth.

'Akka!' Preethi whisper-yelled, urging her to stop.

'Tai... I think she's right this time. They must be mad on us already!' I said, concerned.

First, it was a show-off ceremony and now being late and scolded by the elders. I don't know what else do I have for today.