Chapter 27

Kavya looked nonchalantly at the wall before her as the Portuguese nurse treated her wounds.

'That's deeper than it looks.' Rajeshwari Lokesh flinched as the nurse washed Kavya's forehead wound, oozing blood.

'He's still not receiving the phone.' Bhavna said paving through the clinic.

'This boy!' her mother muttered. 'Sometimes, I feel your father is right about him. He has lost every sense of goods and bads. If that boy Hardik hadn't called the advocate and gave us the information, we actually guessed Kavya and her family to be responsible for everything!' she said, gaining Kavya's attention at the last part.

She hadn't spoken anything in the last couple of hours. She didn't know how she was taken out from her house by Rahul's parents and traveled to the clinic with them. His mother did say something to her but there was nothing she could decipher.

In fact, she didn't feel the pain involved in the dressing either. It was like she was accustomed to more painful things in her life already.

'... but, thank God, we had already made our way to Kavya's house by then. Or else, we would have never known the true colors of that family. Eshaanvi was so right about the plight of this poor girl!' Kavya felt a soft hand running over her hair. She looked up at the elder woman nonchalantly.

Bhavna sat beside Kavya as the nurse dressed the forehead and went to bring a gauge for her wrist.

'Kavya, I'm so sorry for everything that has happened to you. I didn't expect Rahul would do something like that to save himself.' Bhavna took Kavya's hand in hers. Kavya just looked at her with stoned eyes.

'But, why?' Mrs. Lokesh said frustrated. 'If Rahul had nothing to do with the rape, why would he go to the extent to marry her? How to know the truth? I hope my son didn't...?'

'He didn't do anything.' Kavya spoke suddenly.

'Huh?' Mrs. Lokesh looked at the fragile girl surprised.

'That night..I don't know who was responsible for ruining my life this way. But, I'm sure it definitely isn't your son.' Kavya said.

'I... I thought you said you couldn't see or  remember anything and that's what pointed more fingers at Rahul.' Bhavna mentioned.

'Trust me, Bhavna Tai, I still don't know anything of that night.' Kavya said. 'All I know is...' she recalled her conversation with Raman from last night.

'Ms. Dixit, I can't believe you attempted to walk alone in this weather and that too without money. Thank God, Rahul texted me about that... or else..'

'Who?'

'.... a man who was bothered for my safety even after all these, can never think of molesting me at least.' Kavya said. 'I guess facing what fate had written for me all along.' Kavya's face finally creased for a sad smile.

'.... and there's nothing bad written in it. I know what to do now..' Mrs. Lokesh said.

'Mom! What are you gonna do about it?' Bhavna asked standing up.

'I...' Mrs. Lokesh was about to say when thr Indian doctor entered the cabin.

^^^^^^^^^^

Dropping the barbell, Rahul disconnected the call again.

He was in no mood to talk. There were 14 missed calls from Bhavna, 14 from Eshaanvi, 7 from his mom, 9 from Hardik and 50 others. Of course, they might have heard the news already!