Chapter 28

20 days later

'Kavya... help me with the saree, please...' Bhavna Tai pleaded holding the folds at place. She was getting ready for her colleague's reception party.

I chuckled. 'Someone is not habituated with sarees, I guess.' I said, pinning her saree at places.

'Not that. I have few ready-to-wear sarees for official emergencies. But, this is the reception of Ananth and Nalini, the power couple of our office. I got this saree for Rs. 7000 a month back, particularly for this occasion. I cannot manage to botch it up, right?' she said as I kept pleating with full concentration.

'By the way, Kavya.. you seem to be too good with sarees!' Bhavna Tai said, surprised. 'You were into dance or something?' she asked.

'Oh no!' I scoffed. 'I was a studious kid of Psychology. I learnt wearing sarees only out of the compulsion laid by KDAH. Initially, Aai helped...' I stopped as I recalled I haven't spoken to Aai for the longest time in my life now.

'Kavya!' Bhavna Tai tapped my shoulder.

'Huh?'

'You're thinking about your mother, don't you?' she asked.

I didn't speak or rather couldn't speak and just looked down.

'Did you call her again?' she asked.

I shook my head. I had called Aai twice in these twenty days. For the unknown number or not, Aai just disconnect my call!

Bhavna Tai sighed. 'It's okay.' she held my shoulders. 'I'm sure she'll understand soon. Besides, that boy Bittu said your mother was fine.'

'May be at surface, Bhavna Tai... because I know my Aai cannot be fine without seeing me just like I cannot be fine without seeing her.' I said.

Bhavna Tai gave me a sympathetic look while I looked away, trying to contain my emotions.

'By the way, what hairstyle were you talking about?' I asked changing the topic.

^^^^^^^

Few hours later

'Wow! With the shift of place, the queen of the nights are glowing so bright! Thanks for the idea, Kavya!' Aunty said examining the flowers.

'Oh no.. please, don't thank me. It seems you all have put real efforts in your garden. I just loved the way the things are maintained.

Mrs. Lokesh smiled. 'Yeah, both me and your uncle are fond of gardening. I do the flowers and he does the organic fruits and vegetables. Bhavna reluctantly helps but Rahul never spares an eye for this sector. Yeah, Eshaanvi is keen on plantation study though.' she said.

'Oh! TaIking about her.... she's coming day after tomorrow, right?' I asked remembering.

'Yes. The first time after she has shifted to Mumbai. I'll have to get the mushrooms. She loves the mushroom cuisines.' Aunty stated.

I smiled, nodding. But, something within was bothering me. Ever since getting here, I have been using Eshaanvi's room and now that she's coming, I'm feeling really odd about it.