Chapter 26

The car ride didn't even let me know where I headed in this dark stormy night.

'Please, slow down.' I begged KLR who didn't pay any attention to it and increased the speed further.

'Aaaaaa..' I had to exclaim as my head banged aside on the window, causing a little pain.

Where is he taking me? Has he gone crazy?

The car was headed towards Fort. But, why are we going there?

'Why are we ...?' I couldn't even finish my question as the car took a sharp turn towards the official complex at Horniman Circle, finally slowing it near a gate.

'It's past 12 now. The office is closed. What will they think?' I asked the man beside me who looked straight unbothered. 'Please, drive back. I'm scared.'

KLR didn't even spare me a look and blew horns, getting the Security Guard's attention.

There was man in his mid forties, making his way towards the car.

I clutched my scarf in fear.

KLR put the window glasses down and the man smiled. 'Oh! You guys are here. Sir is waiting for you at the second floor.' he said.

'Hmm... open the gate.' KLR said.

The guard nodded and called another fellow, who proceeded to open the big gate.

'What's going on? How did he know you were coming? Please, tell me.' I said with tearing eyes.

'You'll know soon.' KLR said not even looking at me and crossed the gate.

The car stopped, parking it near the Municipal Complex.

'Get down.' He said, suddenly. 'We have reached our destination.' he said.

I looked around nervously. I hugged myself tighter, not knowing where things would lead.

I felt the man beside me open the door for me and pull me out of the car. I gasped.

Thankfully, I had enough balance not to fall.

'Didn't you hear that I asked you to cone out?' Rahul snapped.

I didn't say anything and examined the surroundings. It was the old custom office. The solitariness of the dark night did fall on it, even though I could feel sone presence at the second floor. The floor was lit bright. Who's there?

'Come with me.' Rahul tried to hold my hand again but I moved away.

'Why are we here?' I asked. 'No one is supposed to be here at this time. Then, what's that? What are you planning?' I asked gaining my voice.

Rahul looked at me blank for a while and then smiled. 'Something that your family insisted me on doing the other day. Accepting my responsibilities.' he said.

I was confused. 'Responsibilities! What responsibilities? I don't understand...?'

Rahul chuckled. 'Such an innocent girl, aren't you? But, guess what, the most fearful is the man who has nothing to loose.' he said gritting his teeth. 'And you and your family would know that really well tonight when I finish everything you have.' he said.

'What?' I asked, not understanding anything.

'Rahul, you are here? Oh! There's Miss Dixit too.' a guy, seemingly a lawyer came out of the building to greet us.

Who is he?

'Miss Dixit, I cannot thank you enough for agreeing with us.' the man said, much to my surprise. 'I'm sure you won't regret.'