Chapter 25

Dusk was about to set in. I looked through the window to get a last glance of the setting sun.

I did the sane for years. Same bed...same place...same window...same Sun! I always thought that some day, I can stop the sun from setting. May be my one day, my life would remain illuminated forever. But, today I sit here embracing the darkness that I never knew existed.

Sometimes I think what if I never wanted to break free from this cage! What if I too would compromise my freedom like my Aai and pretend to be a happy cage bird? But, I didn't want to compromise. I wanted to uncles my wings in the free air.

But... my fate got it for me. Today, I sit at the same place reminiscing the past. The only thing is I'm now a cage bird with severed wings.

'Kavya, here... take the juice. That'll give you strength.' Chhoti maa said handing me over a glass. 'I made it from the fresh mangoes of the orchard.'

I blinked, thinking nothing and took the glass from her.

'Where's Aai?' I asked her.

'Uh...probably she's with badi didi and dada.  I think they are rehearsing for the interview that her and jethji would attend in three days.' she said.

I grabbed the glass tightly, not saying anything.

Is Aai really gonna attend the interview about my rape? Is she really gonna name someone without knowing the truth?

Before my eyes could catch the moisture, I looked away towards the window. 'It won't rain today..' I said mostly to myself.

'Don't think so. The forecast says tomorrow or the day after.' Chhoti maa said.

^^^^^^^^^

'I can't believe Nayanthara Aunty agreed on this. There must be something in it.' Eshaanvi said crying in disbelief. 'Anna, I know her! She'd never accuse anyone this way. I..I'll call Kavya and ask her...' she picked her phone but Rahul snatched it away.

'Stop it, Esh. Don't you dare beg in front of those people! They are just a bunch of opportunistic morons. Don't you understand?' Rahul burst.

The living room of the house was filled with anxious faces pacing around as they discussed the upcoming interview of Kavya's parents in a news channel.

'Now you deal with it. I always told you Rahul, the world of fame and money cannot be handled by all.' Rahul's father said, reflecting on a statement from past.
'But, there you are..'

Rahul immediately stood up to protest, but Eshaanvi held him, shaking her head.

'Dad, relax!' Bhavna came by her father to balance the situation. 'We can talk about that later.'

Rahul's father sighed. 'Whatever..' he said and went back to the room.

'Wait..' Rahul's mother called before her husband, giving her son a look.
'Rahul, just remember that our till this day none of us did anything that'd point a finger towards our family. Please, ensure it remains the same.' she said before following her husband to the room.

Rahul frowned and scoffed sarcastically. 'Of course, that's all you all care about.' he muttered in frustration.

'Anna.. Mom and Dad are worried and that's why they are saying so. Please, don't mind them.' Eshaanvi said understanding what was going on within her brother.