B2: Chapter 1 - Coming of Age

It is the year 1240 PG, two years after the invasion of Altea during the third Great Tournament. Tensions between the nations grew even greater due to Ylise forming a partnership with the Southern Barbarian islands and taking over Macedon, thus increasing their reach and manpower. The remaining nations banded together to unite against King Jaragus of Ylise and his ever-growing army.

Meanwhile, in Altea, Zack turned seventeen years old and his class now went up to group five. This was the last stage of their training to become knights and by the end of the year they would finally graduate, thus becoming full-fledged Altean knights. One perk of being in group five was that they were now allowed to carry weapons, but were only allowed to use them in self-defense, or in defense of the people.

In recognition of group five's last year at the Knighthood Academy, a ball was planned for the final-year students, which many began searching out a date to accompany them. They were allowed to bring anyone, regardless of whether they were from the Academy or not.

One day, as the old stern but jolly Sir Alexander was teaching his now almost adolescent students, who grew reasonably in height.

Lea sat in the front row, unable to keep her side eye from wandering on Jirell who sat beside her. She was completely unfocused with the lesson, which was very unusual of her, as she was rarely ever distracted by anything during lessons.

Nia smirked when she noticed her daze, and leaned to her side to whisper into her ear.

"Hey Lea, why not you just ask Jirell to the ball?"

Lea pressed her finger against Nia's lips, "Shhh! What if he can hear you? And what makes you think I wanted to go with him in the first place?"

Nia rolled her eyes, "Well, ever since the ball was announced last week you have been staring at him, acting clumsy when he is around, following him all over the place, your palms get sweaty. Look, your hands are sweating even now. Everyone knows you like him."

Lea hurriedly covered Nia's mouth with her palm and looked around the class to see if anyone heard.

Ever since Nia proved her loyalty to Altea by defending it during the invasion two years ago, people stopped judging her for being half-Ylisean and started being nice to her. She and Lea eventually became close friends, and her peers started to welcome her. She finally began to fit in amongst everyone, slowly emerging from her shell with each passing day.

"And everyone knows you like Zack," Lea remarked in a playful tone.

Nia sighed deeply, "Yeah, everyone except Zack. I have given him so many hints, but he just does not seem to get it. Maybe he is without feelings for me," she held her head down.

Lea waved her hands before her eyes to get her attention, "Hey cheer up, you want me to ask him?"

Nia jumped up, "No!!" she shouted.

The entire class looked at her including Zack, whom when she saw his light blue eyes pointed at her, her face went completely red.

Sir Alexander who stood in front of the class turned to her with a stern raise of his brow, "Ma'am, why did you interrupt my class?"

Nia touched the tips of her fingers together nervously, "M-My apologies Sir Alexander, it won't happen again," she said as she sat down.

She never liked being in the spotlight of anything, and would often go through anxiety when everyone looked at her. She bit her lip as a calming response to her quickened breathing, burying her face in her hands.

After class ended, the two girls walked off together talking when hurls of boys began to swarm them, each asking them to be their date to the ball. Nia stood behind Lea with her head down, feeling lightheaded having them surround her so closely.