ᴛʜɪʀᴛʏ ᴛʜʀᴇᴇ

Start from the beginning

"I love you too," she whispered, receiving another kiss from her boyfriend. Then he walked away from her, much to Madelyn's dismay, to cover up his upper body with his team polo shirt, also to her dismay.

"I still have a short debrief with the crew before I'm officially off. Wait for me downstairs?" He asked, to which she nodded. She jumped off the physio bed and gave Max a kiss on the cheek before she left the room. When she stood outside, she got the fright of her life. Cristian stood right in front of her nose, looking at the press officer with a questionable look on his face.

"Christian, hi!" She said, trying to hide the nervousness in her voice. Sweat broke out in places she didn't know were possible. This is it, she thought to herself. This is the moment I get caught. But the questionable look on the team boss' face quickly changed into a smile.

"Madelyn, just the one I was looking for," he said. That sentence didn't help her calm down, but she tried her best to keep it cool. "Got a minute for a chat?" Christian asked.

"Sure," Madelyn smiled and followed her boss downstairs. They took a seat at one of the tables. Madelyn folded her hands together and nervously started playing with the rings on her fingers as she looked at Christian expectantly.

"How are you doing?" He asked her as he opened a Red Bull can that was standing on the table. "Are you enjoying it here with the team?"

Cautiously, Madelyn breathed a sigh of relief. Hopefully, this was just a quick check-up and he wasn't going to ask questions about why she just walked out of Max's dressing room. "I'm doing just fine," she answered her boss. "A bit tired and glad we reached the summer break, but other than that I love it here. The team and everyone in the paddock are so nice."

"I'm glad to hear that," Christian said and took a sip of his energy drink. "Your dad texted me, asking how you were. Apparently, you don't check in enough with your parents," he winked.

"I didn't know you and my dad were gossiping about me," Madelyn chuckled.

"Don't worry, we're not just talking about you. Most of the time its business talk. But sometimes he asks if I and the team are taking good care of you, and I always tell him you're in good hands. Especially with Max by your side..."

Madelyn's heart dropped to the ground. What did he mean by 'especially with Max by your side'? Did he know?

"You two seem to get closer by the day. I'm glad you guys are such good friends. At least it makes Max behave better in the media." Both started laughing, as a great weight fell off Madelyn's shoulders. Okay, so he didn't suspect them. Or at least he's very good at hiding it.

"I believe Daniel is making you feel welcome as well. I saw you two walking together the other day."

Madelyn nodded in confirmation. "Yeah, and Lando as well. They both have been very nice to me this season so far."

"Oh, right, Lando. That reminds me, I still need to give him a call." Christian mumbled to himself as he grabbed his phone out of his pocket and started typing a message to the British McLaren driver. In the meantime, Madelyn looked at him uncomprehendingly.

"May I ask why?" Christian nodded as he finished his text. He placed his phone back in his pocket and looked up at her.

"Yeah, sure. But don't tell anyone. I don't want this gossip going around the paddock, you understand?"