Chapter 2- My Safe Haven

Start from the beginning

"I thought you said we were doing homeschooling," I say quickly. "How are we going to meet people if we stay inside all day?"

My dad and Shannon share a look, and then they both turn back to us. I feel my heart speed up, and immediately I start to feel sick. 

"That's actually what we wanted to talk to you about" My dad starts. Unfortunately, he is interrupted by Zander after he jolts out of his seat and opens his mouth to yell.

"You told us we would be homeschooled! You lied to us! Please tell me that neither I nor Hailey is starting Junior year alone at some huge high school filled to the brim with gang kids and spoiled brats!"

I feel like throwing up. I don't want to do this anymore. My parents told us they would give us time to adjust to our new living conditions. They said we would start the senior year at a high school, not junior year, and especially not after we just moved across the country and left behind everything we knew and loved.

"Dad! How could you?" I cry as I stand up, and back away from the table.

My dad's expression looks pained as he mirrors my actions, but walks towards me. 

"Hailey, this will be good for you. I'm not saying it won't be tough at first, but you need to make new friends and get over-"

"I'll never get over him!" I cry, as I turn from my dad, and slide open the patio door. I hear everyone yelling my name and telling me to come back, but I ignore them, and slide out the door, slamming it hard behind me.

I know I'll be in trouble later, but I don't really care at the moment. I push open the gate from the side, and run through it, not even bothering to shut it behind me. 

I know Zander or my dad is probably following me, so I break into a sprint and run away as fast as I can. I don't have the courage to face any of this. My life is a mess, and I don't want to be anywhere near my house right now.

 I don't want to go to the dandelion field right now, and I don't know where I could go, so I just run as far and as fast as I can, ignoring the tears as they finally break free.

                                                                                      ✿ ✿ ✿ 

After a few hours, I find myself trudging down a dirt road. It's started to rain, and my converse are now covered in mud, but I don't even notice, or even care for that matter. 

My mind is a mess. I miss my home, I miss my friends, I miss him. Even after what he's done to me, I still miss him. It's like I hate him, but I also can't live without him. I should hate him, especially after everything he's done to me, but I feel like I can't live without him. I can imagine him right now. If he was here, and if the incident hadn't happened, he'd wrap me up in his arms, and tell me he loves me. 

I'm sorry for treating my family so badly, I'm sorry for being the reason my mom left my dad. I'm sorry for every time I've ever caused anybody pain in any way. I'm just a big mess of emotions and thoughts, and I feel so completely lonely and lost.

The rain has soaked me, and my eyes feel tired from crying so long and hard. I don't know how my life has become this messed up, but I don't know how to change things. I don't know if I'll ever be able to be open with anyone ever again. I don't know if I'll ever trust anyone ever again.

"Hey"

I spin around as quickly as I can and let out a small yelp of surprise.

In front of me, there's a boy. He looks to be about my age and he looks completely soaked as well. 

"Are you okay?" He asks. His voice is drowned out a bit by the sound of the rain pounding against the ground.

I wipe my eyes with the back of my hand and nod silently. I definitely did not expect to run into anybody, especially not out here. 

I take a moment to observe him. He's wearing a gray hoodie and dark jeans. A pair of black boots hug his feet. He's tall and lean but has muscle. His hair is a soft golden, and his eyes are the prettiest shade of brown I've ever seen.

"Who are you, and what are you doing here?" I ask weakly, as I lock eyes with him.

"I could ask you the same thing," He answers smiling. "Are you crying?"

I feel a bit irritated with this guy. Who is he? and why is he here? I want to be alone right now. Not chatting with some dude about why I'm crying my eyes out and walking down a dirt road in the literal middle of nowhere.

"No, my eyes are just raining" I snap back.

His grin immediately morphs into a frown, and he crosses his arms against his chest.

"Oh, I'm sorry miss depressed. I thought it might have just been the rain." he quips.

"Who do you think you are?" I question.

"Someone who doesn't believe they're the queen of the world, and gets to dictate where other people take walks."

"I'm not the queen, I'm the princess"

"Alright then princess, where should I take a stroll next time?

I roll my eyes and take a few steps toward the weird person I've accidentally met in the past five minutes. The things I would give to be at home in bed right now.

"Don't call me that," I tell him as  I watch his expression morph into one of pleasure.

"Why princess? Please do explain" he answers wiggling his eyebrows up and down.

I nearly laugh, but I control myself, biting down on my lower lip. 

"It's irritating."

"Good"

I sigh and feel my cheeks heat up. There's something about him that drives me crazy.

"I should probably get going, but I hope to see you again princess," he says as he reaches for my hand.

"uh-huh, nice seeing you dork," I say as I tear my hand away from his grasp.

He winks and turns away from me, suddenly making me wonder if I'll ever see him again.

"What's your name?" I ask quickly stepping towards him.

His eyes are shining, and his smile is hypnotizing.

"Jake"

His feet turn, and he gracefully walks away.

And as soon as he appeared, he vanished, leaving me standing in the rain alone.

And for a second, just a second, I don't feel so alone.