Flashback 10

💔 Breakup #16.5 💔

Jimin P.O.V

• THE ONE THAT COULD NEVER BE •

........ Let me give a Better name .......

• THE ONE THAT REALLY STARTED THE COLD WAR •

I can't believe that I'm falling for my best friend. My "she's way too young for you," and "her brother would beat me into another dimension" best friend. Her breakups have become points of conversation and nothing more, comedic relief that only stands in the way of the main scene. Or, what I wish the main scene could be.

Us ...

Not a night passes by without us talking on the phone or discussing our lives. I've told her things that I've never told Namjoon, and I want her to be mine. Even though she showed up to meet me at the theater, just to tell me that she's in love with Tim, to the point of putting her career on hold for him, I can't take that as a loss for some reason.

"Well, that's it. I'm going to do you a huge favor and break up with me, for you." Seulgi, the woman I'm on a fifth pointless date with, kisses me on the cheek.
"What? Why?"

"Because I can't compete with the woman you're really in love with. That's her texting you now, isn't it?" She points to my phone, "That's who we've spent the past hour and half talking about, and I can't tell you how many times I've told you that you taking me to see her skate isn't a date. Even if it does come with perks."

"It's not what you think."
"It's exactly what I think. Go ahead. Answer it." She smiles, looking completely unoffended.
"She can wait."
"Ha! You never make her wait. See you around, Jimin." She pulls a bag over her shoulder. I watch her walk away and hold off for a few minutes just to prove a point.

Jihyun (Too Young for You): Hey. Thank you for sending me the protein shakes and extra pressure sleeves yesterday. I appreciate that.

Me: You're welcome. What are you doing tonight?

Jihyun (Too Young for You): Nothing. Want to come over?

Me: Be there in ten.

When I make it to Jihyun's place, I take a deep breath and try to think about how I need to play this. She has dreams she's chasing, as do I, but I don't want to get in the way of hers. But I'm also selfish and don't want her to date anyone else. Not even Tim, just me. I'll figure it out. I get out of the car and knock on the door. Jihyun doesn't answer it, though. Tim does. What the hell?

"Hey, Jimin. Nice to see you." He smiles. As if he can read my confused expression, he clears his throat, "The water pipes at my house burst an hour ago, so I figured I could stay with my girlfriend for a few days while they get fixed. That's what girlfriends are for, right?"

"Right." I step inside and see that her living room is filled with his belongings. Rolling my eyes, I look around for her, finding her in her mother's old library, "Is Tim still taking you camping for the weekend?" I can't think of anything else to say.

"Yeah, unless ..."
"Unless, what?" I asked. She doesn't answer me, "Did you mean what you said at the theater last week?" I ask.
"Yes. Every word. I really do love him." She nods. My chest aches at her confessing that she's in love with him again. The look in her eyes is unquestionably for him.
"Take things slow with him, then. Make sure he's everything you want before you cross the line." I say, surrendering.
"He is. I just wish that he could see that." She hugs me longer than usual, and I rub my hands against her back. We slowly pull away and stare at each other.