Chapter 31 : Need space.

Jihyun P.O.V

"Look at that control as she goes up for a triple salchow and immediately into a....Wow! Jihyun Kim lands a quad instead! Ladies and gentlemen, we are watching a master of her craft, a woman who will go down as arguably the greatest female figure skater of all time."

I sit on the floor in my room and watched my final performance at Skate America. Before the fall that ended it all.

"I agree Mary, Look at the precision of her spin

"I agree Mary, Look at the precision of her spin. I'm sure she'll be notching the first-place position here and continuing her ambitious chase for twenty-eight." the third announcer said.

"The most complex combo of her program. Two quads with a triple lutz is coming up. Should she land this, she would be the first female singles skater to ever......"

I hit pause and stare at the freeze-frame of myself in mid-air, my arms high above my head as my glittering blue dress flies free. To this day, I could never get past this part of the show. It still hurt like hell. Sighing, I clicked on my performance at the Sochi Olympics instead. As I was taking to the ice, my doorbell sounded. I grabbed a tip for the delivery guy, but when I opened the door, it wasn't pizza. It was Jimin.

"Hey." I smiled.
"Hey."
"I thought you were working on the final apology letters tonight."
"I am, I wanted to stop by before I started." he said.
"Come in."
"I can't. Look, there's no easy way to say this, so I'll just say it. I need some space, Jihyun." He shook his head. His words hung in the air for several seconds.
"I don't understand. You need space? For what?" I crossed my arms.
"Its complicated. I have the Tinder deposition coming up and I got hit with some new, silly headlines in the media this afternoon." He ran a hand through his hair.
"Whatever they are, I'm willing to help you like I did with the letters."
"It's not that easy. I just need the space, Jihyun." He looked into my eyes. I stared at him in utter disbelief.
"This doesn't make any sense, You told me the other day that this was only our beginning. You also promised, repeatedly, that you wouldn't fuck 'us' up." I said, my arms drop to my side.
"That's not what I'm doing at all. I'm doing what I think is best for you. Us."

That "best for you" line made the hairs on the back of my neck stand at attention; that was a line from Namjoon's controlling playbook, not Jimin's.

"Did you tell my brother about us or something?" I asked.
"Not at all."
"Then what the hell, Jimin? Space for what?"

""Then what the hell, Jimin? Space for what?"