Flashback 9

💔 Breakup #16 💔

Jihyun P.O.V

• THE ONE THAT STARTED THE COLD WAR •

"The best romance you'll ever find is with your best friend."

The fortune cookie serves me a truth that I already know

The fortune cookie serves me a truth that I already know. I'm falling in love with Park Jimin. So much so, that I make up fake problems sometimes just to talk to him on the phone at night. So much so, that I lie about needing to make late- night runs to the grocery store, so that we can spend more time together.

In my mind, it all makes sense: He's the guy I spend the most time with, he sits front row at all of my competitions, and he knows me better than anyone else. Given our 6-year age gap, I know he'll probably say, "Hell no, Hyun," but I'm hoping he'll follow that up with, "We'll try it after you win medal twenty-eight, or after your brother is committed to a psych ward. Whichever comes first."

That's more than enough hope for me, more than enough for me to dump my boyfriend for him. Even if I have to wait for years.

"Let me see what your fortune cookie says, babe." , my latest space-filler boyfriend, snatches the thin white paper from my hands. I'm only dating him because he reminds me of Jimin and he has a similar work ethic when it comes to building his dating app. He's still not Jimin, though, "Well, it's fate then. We're on the right track with each other." Tim smiles at the fortune. Right. In the car, on the way home, my phone buzzes with a text message.

Jimin : Sorry I missed your call earlier. About your voicemail, I'll be free tonight around 7. I'm dropping off some things for the manager at CinePlex.

Me: Okay, great. I'll meet you then and there.

***