10. Hand

Exile // Jory Cassel (1) is out now! 

'Jon arryn is not working.' Robert told ned at the feast after the baby announcement. 'I want you here.' Neds eyes drifted to maeve he wanted to stay. To protect her from robert. But even her own guard couldnt protect her. Jorah mormont was a skilled warrior his father was commander at the nights watch. He was honored and a skilled knight yet maeve quivered in fear. Maybe ned could help her. Help unleash the dragon.

"Be my hand.'' Robert demanded.

"I accept." Ned told him.

"Wonderful! Another drink!" Robert demanded.

"Excuse me." Ned said getting up before Robert could object. "Your grace." Ned said walking up to Maeve and Jorah, she sat in the farthest corner of the room, Jon smiling happily up at her. "He likes you." Ned remarked sitting down on the opposite side of her.

"I don't think he has stopped smiling." Maeve told him. "He is so cute." Jon stuck his tongue out at her as he reached up pulling on her hair, she cringed, Ned noticed.

"Your grace? Did he hurt you?"

"No... I'm fine." Maeve assured as she eased jon's grip off her hair and onto her finger. Jorah brought a hand up discreetly rubbing her back soothingly.

"Robert has asked me to be his hand." Ned informed her and Jorah stared over at him, confused.

"That is wonderful news," Maeve told him. "Will Jon be staying as well?" Maeve questioned.
"Yes... Catelyn isn't fond of him" Ned agreed.

"Your wife." Maeve recalled. Ned nodded stiffly. They were both forced into a marriage, never to love their spouse, the difference was Ned didn't beat Catelyn, the only thing he did that hurt her was lying about Jon's parentage. But it ruined any chance they had but staring at the queen now, the most powerful woman in westeros... she didn't have any power. She was weak and scared.

'We... our relationship is best kept a moon away.' Ned told her starting to relax.

'What of jons mother if you dont mind me asking?'

'No not at all.' Ned told her. 'She died giving birth to him.'

'And you took him in. How noble of you.' Maeve liked Ned even more. He had taken in a bastard just as her father did her. Against his wife's wishes. 'Jon has a good father. You are a good man.'

"The books I got you, my sister Lyanna enjoyed very much." Ned told her as he cleared his throat.

"The last dragon." Maeve whispered.

"Lyanna... had a fondness for dragons after seeing your brother in the tourney." Ned informed her.

"I bet." Maeve agreed with a chuckle.

"I know you don't seem to have many friends at the capital anymore, but know that I am on your side. Your friend, if you need anything... know I'm here for you." Ned told her and Maeve looked up from Jon to Ned, she gnawed at her lip, looking him straight in the eyes.

"Thank you Lord Stark." Maeve answered softly.
"Ned." He corrected.

"Ned." She echoed as Robert started shouting for Ned. "The king calls." Maeve said looking back down to Jon. Ned bent over and kissed Jon's head as he lay on Maeve's lap. His nose grazed her cheek as he stood up and maeve watched him intently.

"Your grace." He said bowing before her and he turned on his heel heading back to Robert. He had to fight the urge to turn around, hoping her eyes were still on him. He knew it was foolish and irresponsible. He was married and she was the queen, yet there was a danger in the madness, in wanting her. she consumed his mind and he didn't want that to stop. He wanted more. Ned sat down across from Robert so he could look past him to Maeve and Jon. Robert spoke, drunkenly, as usual it seemed. If Ned forced a fake laugh and nodded along, Robert was none the wiser and he could keep his focus on his real reason for staying at the capital.

'Where did you find dragon eggs?" Maeve asked as she held it up to the candle light. It glimmered. Jon reached out for it. She propped him up and he reached for the egg smiling at it before he started gnawing on it. "No, no, honey." Maeve said kissing his head.

'I have been looking for one since I got you stuck in this awful predicament.' jorah admitted softly and Maeve put the egg back in the chest before turning to him.

'It's my own fault. I wanted to live.'' Maeve reminded him. ''You were just trying to help.''

'I'm sorry I couldn't get you a real dragon.'' Jorah told her

''This is enough. More than enough.'' Maeve assured. "I feel like I'm not the last dragon anymore."

"I wish I could do more, but-'

'You can't go against the king." Maeve whispered leaning into him. "You risked enough trying to save me, I don't want you losing your head standing up to him. Then what would I do?" Maeve offered.
"You shouldn't be treated as such." Jorah told her.

"Perhaps with Lord Stark here... the king will focus on him and less on me." Maeve hoped.

Or he will drink more having Ned rule in his stead and take out his drunk behaviors on his beautifully broken queen. Jorah thought as Maeve turned her face back down to Jon.

"I hope so too." Jorah told her.