PARTNERS IN CRIME

Start from the beginning

Well, if you're being honest every sport obsessed jock is an asshole for you and though judging a book by its cover is not a nice thing to do, you just can't help it, not after what happened to you in high school.

Zoe knows your opinion about guys on any of the school's sport teams, probably that's why she never told you about Niall, she guessed right that you'd have quite a few issues with her little adventure. But you can't be mad at her for doing something you would never, it's her life and her choices, however you're still not sure what it has got to do with tonight.

"Okay, so that's one more reason to stay away from tonight's party," you tell her, but she sighs.

"We kinda kept in touch through the summer, which was a miracle since he went home to his family in Ireland, but we texted a lot and he even FaceTimed me two times! I was hoping tonight would bring a little more and we could... I don't know, make it official."

You can tell how nervous she is about this guy and that she wants it to end well. Zoe broke up with her longtime high school boyfriend after graduation and she hasn't really found anyone who interested her that much, but it seems like the hockey team's captain was the person she's been waiting for all along. You wish it was some nice guy from the robotics club or something. You have quite a few doubts about this Niall guy.

"But why do I need for that?" you ask the most important question. It's one thing that you're not a fan of Zoe getting together with a hockey player, but what role do you have in all of it?

"I need you to be there and not let me go crazy!" she sighs desperately. "I really like him and I really don't want to make a fool out of myself. I need you to be my rational side."

"You're a smart girl, Zoe. You don't need me to babysit you."

"But I do! Please, I'll do all your laundry for the rest of the semester, just please come with me!" She is begging as if her life depended on your attendance. It's really not your cup of tea, but when you look at your desperate friend, you realize you won't be able to say no.

So a few hours later you are walking up the stairs to some frat house, the music is blasting inside and people are lingering outside, you can only imagine how crowded it is on the other side of the door.

Zoe keeps a firm hold on your hand as she pulls you after her, finding a group of people you both know pretty soon. You all attended Sociology first semester, so you greet each other like old buddies.

Zoe fetches the two of you each a drink and while you stand in a small circle, trying to talk over the music and the noise, you notice how she isn't even paying attention, only looking around cautiously, probably searching for a particular Irish hockey player.

"Don't look so desperate," you hiss at her, which causes her to look down at her feet with a soft blush on her cheeks. For a moment you feel bad for being so harsh on her. It's not like she can choose who she likes and if it happens to be a hockey player, you can't give her a hard time for it. You can only hope she won't end up like you once did.

After finishing your first drink you offer to grab the second and Zoe agrees, saying that she needs the liquid courage for when Niall arrives. You push your way into the kitchen and mix the both of you a vodka orange, the same thing Zoe made you earlier and head back to your little bunch. Slaloming between the people on your own you don't get stopped for a few words or to take shots, you barely know anyone and it's honestly fine by you. You never really enjoyed attention that much, it brought you way too much anxiety. Zoe is the opposite, she gets noticed all the time and whenever you are with her you always get stopped, people seek her presence and you don't blame them, she is amazing. You could easily be jealous of her, but you decided to put your energy into positive things so you're more happy than mad about her success.