Chapter 49: Bloodhounds

POV: Rowan Collins

~~~

I stared at the computer screen, my mind turning so impossibly fast that it went blank. And I probably would have stayed like that a while longer if it went for my phone going off.

Incoming call... Tay (Front Gate)

"Tay, now's really not a good time." Especially not when I've got six people looking at me for what to do.

"Yeah I'm gathering that, but we've got a problem at the front gate. Like a big one." I don't like the sound of that, not one bit.

"What kind of problem Tay?" Mira ran to look at the front windows while I waited for Tay to give me a report.

"There are a shit ton of news vans out here. All with their cameras and microphones and trying to get us to open the gates and let them up to the house."

Fuck

At this point, I lean back against my desk and look at Mira who has controlled panic and concern etched on her face. "Do not let anyone pass those gates, do you understand me? Not a single person with a fucking camera Tay."

"No shit. No, I'd like to lose my job today let me just open the gates to the fucking mob of people." I bring my other hand up and start rubbing the bridge of my nose, feeling the headache that is building.

"Not the time for your jokes Tay, not the time."

"Yeah, but what do you want us to do? Because I'm worried that some of these psychos are gonna try to jump the fence and I don't think you want us to go with our usual shot-on-sight rule."

Oh fuck, I bring the phone down away from my ear and turn to Jack whos still just standing there.

"Get me a direct line to all the security people, now!"

He jumps right to it and uses the phone on my desk to start connecting everyone. While he's doing that I bring the phone back to my ear, "Tay make sure everyone has their fucking earpieces in." I hang up my cell and turn back to my desk and grab the phone that Jack hands me.

"This is Rowan, do not engage with the press. Do you understand me, DO NOT ENGAGE! No guns, do not pull your weapons. I do not want to have to explain why one of my security guards shot someone expressing their freedom of the press no matter how annoying they are."

I get a chorus of agreement grunts and I hung up the phone. Looking around Jack, Matty, Candy, Char, and Linc are still just standing there not doing shit.

"Candy I want to know who lacked that fucking document, how the fuck they got it, and which set of contracts it's from. And I want to know as soon as fucking possible." She nods and runs out of the room and heads to the basement.

"Some go get my father!" I yell this into the hall and see someone book it upstairs to where my father's office is. Before I can dish out any more orders I see Luke sprinting full speed toward my office.