Chapter 48: Headlines

POV: Cameron Reed

~~~

Rowan's house was as hectic as always, many of Zeke's men running around with boxes or paperwork in their hands. Then there was the group of older men sitting around a table in the dining room playing a game of cards. The only one among them I could name was Derrick's third, John, and that was only because of the cyborg tattoo on his arm.

With Mal's birthday, tomorrow and I knew that the house would be busy but with all the shit he's been giving Ro lately, I wasn't sure she was still gonna plan a big party.

Passing the white-haired man himself I smiled at Zeke on my way into the living room where I could see Candy's vibrant hair.

"I'm surprised this place isn't more of a war zone." Candy flinched away from Luke at the sound of my voice, brushing it off I looked at the tired expression on the man's face. Then I threw myself down on the loveseat next to them.

"That's because the war zone has moved to the basement with Rowan, and a sulking Mal somewhere being a teenager," Luke grumbled out and rubbed at his eyes with his hand. Candy smiled softly at him and sighed.

"His attitude has only gotten worse in the last month, Rowan and him have been going at it every day, we can hear the screaming through the whole house," Luke mumbled his agreement and leaned back on the couch.

I assume that's why I was summoned, Jack texted me about how stressed everyone's been having to walk on eggshells around Mal and Rowan. My plan was to kidnap Ro for at least an hour and get her to chill the fuck out and talk out whatever shit was going on between the two.

"So what is she planning for tomorrow? I would have thought with all the fighting she would have said fuck him and not do anything." Luke laughed, turning his head to look at me.

"This is Rowan Collins we're talking about, even if she's pissed she's not giving up the opportunity to throw a party. But it is going to be small, to her standard, Just the main group of us and a few of Mal's friends. The ones that don't cause trouble."

"And to quote Rowan, Absolutely no Andrew McBride". That was small for her standards, but considering his attitude lately this might just as well be a punishment for him.

"Cameron!"

We all looked over to see Jack in the archway to the kitchen, leaving the pair in the living room I walked over to join Jack.

"What's up?" I eyed the mass amounts of sweets sitting on the counters and snatched a cookie before he could see, he laughed and grabbed one himself.

"Rowan and Mal almost got into a screaming match again. So I locked Ro in the sparing room before they could really start." I tried not to laugh but I couldn't help it.

"Don't laugh at me! It was either that or let them deafen the whole house."

Fair

Jack and I made our way to the basement through the door in the kitchen, each nabbing a few sweets before leaving.