Chapter 40: The Holiday Spirt

POV: Rowan Collins

~~~

Christmas eve has been hectic, I'm pretty sure that I've been wrapping presents for the last three hours and I can no longer feel my back. Which is my fault for putting it all off, but it still sucks.

It's only three o'clock but everyone's been running around putting up last minuted decorations or baking shit, which Mira is not happy about because there interfering with her cooking. At this point, my only goal is to be done wrapping presents before Ben and Ruby get here.

Since Candy found out who attacked the house I've been more irritable and secluded. To try and improved my mood I called Ben and asked if they would like to spend Christmas here, he was hesitant at first but I told him I wanted them here and it would be fun.

He told me not to spoil Ruby too much, which of course I didn't listen to. I looked around and a majority of the wrapped presents were for Ruby, I also went a little overboard shopping for Ben too but what can I say, I like spoiling the people close to me.

After Candy showed me that security tape I rewatched it about a million times, wondering how we never found this before. Then it hit me, we did have it, and we have for the last eight years. My father just chose to bury it where he wouldn't be haunted by it.

But anyway, because of that I've spent a lot of time reflecting on shit and everything that I still have. Which is why I donated a shit ton more money than I usually do. I went around and gave presents to every child that was in the Lewison memorial hospital like I do every year, dropped off a two and a half-million-dollar check to the St. Jude cancer foundation, A million dollars in checks to local soup kitchens, and another million to the red cross foundation.

That decision, though it made me feel better, did not in fact make the board of directors of Collin's Industries happy. Which is how I've ended up on the phone with said unhappy directors for the last two hours.

I've been just letting them bitch while continuing to wrap and giving the occasional, "Yes, I understand your upset." But my patience is growing thin.

"You can not just start taking away our vacation budgets! We've had those since before you were born girly, and now you come in here and think you can do whatever you please. Well, I hate to break it to you but we are the board and we have a say!" I tied the last sparkly pink ribbon on Rudys present and grabbed my phone, done with this shit.

"You know what. I'm done with this, I know your old brains might not be able to comprehend this but I am in fact your boss now. And since I've taken this position profits have increased fifteen present on the industrial front and thirty present on the not so industrial side. By my account, I'm the best thing that's ever fucking happened to this company."

"And yes, I took away your vacation budget. Something that I believe you shouldn't even have had. So I took it away and now it's going to good use, instead of MY company paying you to go on a vacation when you're not even working for me! So get used to it because things are going to start changing around here because yes the board does have a vote, a forty-nine percent one."