-42- The First Confrontation

Stepping inside the elevator in the JYP building, Chan felt nothing but ice inside him. He was stone cold – there wasn't even nerves. He had put on dark grey slacks, a black button down shirt and around his neck he was wearing a silver chain. The somewhat professional attire was contrasted by his black nail polish and blue hair. His noona had done his hair and make up for him. If she suspected that the meeting with the top man at the company was more serious than Chan let on, she didn't comment on it, and Chan was grateful.

Park Jin-young had always tried to play power games with Chan, and he had always won by not participating. Today Chan was changing the rules. He cracked his neck from side to side as the elevator bell chimed and the doors opened. It was showtime.

The meeting was scheduled at noon, so why bother to knock? Chan walked into the corner office of Mr. Park like if it was his territory. The elder, who hadn't yet taken up his power pose by the window, tried to hide his surprise by greeting Chan enthusiastically. "Bang Chan. How nice to see you. Please take a seat." The former idol gestured to the chair in front of his desk.

"Thank you." Chan smiled as he sat down, but the smile never reached his eyes. He was staring fixedly at Park Jin-young, and the stare was unsettling. Something was clawing at the back of Mr. Park's brain, screaming danger. "Have you made your decision," he managed, suddenly wanting the meeting over so he could get Bang Chan the hell out of his office.

"I have." When Bang Chan didn't elaborate, Mr. Park had no choice but to inquire further. "So, who will it be? Han Jisung or Lee Know? Who are you keeping?"

With a small smirk, Chan leaned toward the desk. "I thought I would give you my answer as a little... presentation. Remember the survival show? I thought – why not show you the title track of our next comeback in a eight members version and a seven members version. It's practically tradition." Chan's eyes had a evil gleam while pronouncing the last word, but it was gone so fast Mr. Park wasn't sure if he had imagined it or not.

"Is this really necessary?" Mr. Park objected. "Oh, I insist." Again Chan flashed a cold smile, and Mr. Park suddenly was reminded of how a wolf would bare his teeth. "Ok, ok, ok. Let's get this over with then."

The office was equipped with a large flat screen and an impressive sound system. Chan connected by WiFi and started their Maniac music video. It didn't take many seconds before Mr. Park was absorbed by what he was watching. His hands kept tapping the beat, and Chan could see the dollar signs in the old man's eyes. It was pure greed.

When the video ended, Park Jin-young rubbed his hands together. "Well done, Chan. The song is good. A "group of abnormalities", hm?" The elder cackled, suddenly in a much better mood by the prospect of cashing in on Stray Kids' hard work. "Yes, we're maniacs. Or do you prefer "perverted"? Chan raised an eyebrow challenging. The elder's smile withered away, and Chan started to chuckle as if it had been a joke. "Are you ready for the seven member version now?"

Mr. Park smiled weakly in response to Chan's "joke". The head of the record company was having trouble keeping up with Chan's apparent mood swings. Park Jin-young knew very well what he was doing, by forcing Chan to choose between two members. He wanted Chan chastised, humiliated and on his way, the sooner the better. "Yes. Let us get this over with, Chan hoobae."

The poor attempt at an insult, didn't faze Chan at all. With a few taps on his mobile, a new video appeared on the flat screen, but the background was no longer the warehouse, but a dance studio in the JYP building. Chan made sure that the progress bar was kept visible as the video played. There was no sound, no people – only an empty dance studio.

"What's this? Did you choose the wrong video? Why is nothing happening?" The former idol was making his irritation known. Chan could feel the anticipation building up inside him. This was it. This was the moment he let his boss know exactly what he felt about this bullshit.

"This is the correct video. It shows precisely what JYP Entertainment is left with, if you don't agree to keeping all my stray kids together." Mr. Park let out huff in indignation and opened his mouth, but Chan wasn't nearly done.

"We're the most popular boy band you have. We have won both "Performance of the year" and "Artist of the year". On Youtube we have close to 10 million subscribers. On Instagram we have over 20 million followers. The Thunderous music video have over 200 million views, while God's Menu have over 300 million views. Since our debut your company's stock price have increased with 600%. If you need to be reminded of our record sales and streaming numbers, you can visit the foyer downstairs. You walk right by the plaques every day. We're making you a lot of money, Mr. Park."

Mr. Park's face was red with anger, but it didn't affect Chan at all. "We can continue to make you money, but we stay a eight member band. This is non negotiable. You will also give 3RACHA full creative freedom. From now on we will choose our own managers and we will make sure to pick those that understand that they work for us – not you."

The elder had finally had enough of Chan's audacity. "I own you! I own Stray Kids!" he barked out. Chan gave him a look filled with all his contempt. "You silly, little man. You own a name. Go ahead an replace us – all of us. Find eight new people to pose as Stray Kids. See what good it will do you."

"Do you have any idea how many record companies in Korea what would welcome 3RACHA with open arms? Or internationally? You can disband us, and we will regroup under a new name. Hell, we could even do a silly name like "Baby Pictures". And STAY would become FOLLOW." For the first time since the meeting began Chan's smile was genuine as he thought about their fans.

Mr. Park had gone from dark red to pale white. He was opening and closing his fist without any purpose. "Why are you doing this?" he said with a strangled voice.

"Have you still not figured it out? You were front and center during the survival show, but even as close as you were you failed to see. I wasn't putting together a band, Mr. Park. I was putting together a family, after being alone for such a long, long time. And I will protect my family." Chan growled out the last sentence, rejoicing when the former idol flinched.

"You gave me two weeks to decide. I give you two days."

Chan turned on his heels and marched straight out of the corner office. He kept going, passing the elevator and used the stairs instead. He was heading for 3RACHA's studio to cool off. It was done. Everything in his professional life would be decided within 48 hours.