Chapter 34: Halloween Hogsmeade Debacle

Start from the beginning

"Abigail?" Roger's voice calls out to me as he walks into the store. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm looking at the violins, I'm thinking about getting one. You?" I ask curiously.

"I'm in the music club, I'm just picking up some sheet music. I play the lute, and the piano." He answers proudly.

"Oh yeah, I forgot there was a club." I chuckle out, completely forgetting that was a thing. He knocks the top of my head in exasperation.

"Well, I'm glad I ran into you." He says nervously, and I look at him curiously. "I was trying to find you earlier, but you were always with the twins... Uh..." He clears his throat with a blush, and I start to realize what he's nervous about. "Would you like to go to Madam Puddifoot's with me? As a uh, date?" He finally chokes out.

"Ah..." I falter out, not prepared for this right now, but I had a feeling it was coming. "My uh, dad forbid me from dating anyone underage." I think up on the spot. "Yeah, sorry about that, but he asks very little of me, so I respect his wishes for this one." I say with more confidence as his face falls.

"I guess I can accept that... I just thought there was maybe something between us, like a spark. We're great friends, and you're beautiful, so I just thought that maybe..." He says sheepishly.

"We're great friends, but that doesn't automatically make us have something between us." I say awkwardly. "Uh, I don't really know about any... spark? Between us?"

"I don't uh... know much about that either." He admits awkwardly. This situation is painful, in so many ways. I think of a plan to make it both a lot more awkward and also resolve this theory of his.

"Here, let's test this theory and then move on from it?" I offer up, taking a step closer to him.

"What?!" Roger squeaks out. "T-test the t-theory?" He stammers out.

"Yup, it's the fastest way to resolve this so we can laugh about this later and move on." I say firmly, and step forward again. "If you want to, that is." I add on, leaving the ball in his court.

He thinks about it for a moment, and nods thoughtfully. "Test the theory." He says confidently, and steps forward. I close the gap between us, and lightly press my lips against his, wait a moment, and then pull away. It was awkward, but fine. There was no spark, and he could see that. "Huh." He huffs out lightly in realization.

"Hypothesis failed then?" I smirk at him. "You ok?"

"Yeah, I'm ok. Bummed, I think, but it's better this way. I enjoy my time with you too much, you're a vision of beauty and an unobtainable Princess, so I think I'll stick by your side, and be your nap buddy and loyal subject." He says with a genuine grin.

"My flirtatious nap buddy. Keep bouncing your lame lines off me, I find them hilarious." I say honestly to him. He's been flirting with me all term, so I figured this was coming soon. I enjoy his flirting lines, he comes up with witty ones and they make me happy and laugh. Ultimately though, he's a child, so I'm not attracted to him like that, so my excuse of Dad not wanting me to date underage boys wasn't a full lie. Plus I've just never really felt any spark between us like that, but I love him dearly as a friend.

"And you can bounce yours off me, I bet you'll have some great ones. You'll be a dangerous weapon then once you start dating, I'll make it my mission to sharpen you like a blade!" He says confidently, parting ways to get his sheet music. 

I got a mahogany violin from the store, it has gold and black designs on it and was stunning. I chatted away happily with Roger the whole time, all awkwardness gone between us instantly. I may have cheated and gave him the lamest kiss on purpose, but it resolved the problem for us.