Departure

"Retsu-san, what are you doing here? I thought Papa was mad at you." Ayumi had changed into her pajamas before finding a seat next to her father. Sinking into the comfort of home and leaning deep into the cushions.

            "I hunted down Kakashi-kun on his last mission," Retsu said. Ever professionally poised with one leg folded over the other and hands on her knee. "We've come to a common ground." Emerald flickered to her father, his lone opened eye meeting her gaze. A hand smoothed her damp hair.

            "The organization that Itachi and Kisame are a part of, you remember it?"

            "Of course."

            "After some investigation by Jiraiya-sama and Retsu-san, we have an idea on what their target is going to be." His hand fell back to his lap, "they're likely after large masses of chakra like Jinchurikis."

            "For what, we can't tell yet." Retsu spoke, "it seems that now they're building power. Jinchuriki are not easy to capture. However, the Jinchuriki aren't the only masses of chakra that have brought attention."

            Ayumi's eyes slightly widened, "the Hellflower."

            She nodded, "in time they will come for you."

            "How much time?"

            "Three years. This I can say with a hundred percent accuracy. Right now, in three years time you will still be no match for them. No matter how much you train. You will be captured and you will be killed. As will Naruto and that Gaara boy you speak of."

            He swept through her mind. The Jinchuriki of Sunagakure. He was stronger than she was at the moment yet he would be no match against a sword like Samehada nor the Genjutsu of Itachi's. She couldn't protect him now. In three years, would she really not be able to change with how she's going now? No, she had to get stronger. "What can I do?"

            "For the next three years, you can go with Retsu-san." Kakashi said, "I cannot teach you how to reach your full potential with a sword. I talked it over with Retsu-san. You will have to leave the village, leave your life as a shinobi for the next three years. She will take you to places to grow stronger. If you want to do this." He took a breath, "I will let you go."

            "Really?"

            "I've spoken to Kakashi about my assessment of you. My eyes cannot be fooled. I can see your potential and I can bring it out of you. However, the training you will endure will be nothing short of Hell. There will be times that you will not be able to go on, but I will force you to. Your body will begin to shut down but I will force you to move. The limits that you have set for yourself, I will force you pass them."  A weight fell on her shoulders from that clouded gaze. The very air thick as it entered her lungs. "You will not die but I will make you want to. Are you prepared for that?"

            "Yes!" There was no hesitation. Ayumi jumped to her feet, "if I can't get stronger with the training that I'm doing now. I'll grab Satan himself by the horns if I have to."

            A smile crossed the samurai's lips, "we leave in two days. Say your goodbyes during that time."

***

            So, the days passed and word of Ayumi's absence was spread. Naruto had a small fit; it seems like Jiraiya had promised to take him on his own training journey but has yet to show up. In the hours of her final night at home, Ayumi busied herself with cleaning her room top to bottom; no need to come back to a dirty room. Jamming her pack full of extra clothes, bandages, reading material, and anything she might need. Standing with her back to the doorway she looked over her work. Everything was damn near sparkling.