In the Shadow of a Flame

"With this, the preliminaries for the third exam are completed," Hayate announced. "Everyone please come down." Throwing an arm around Shikamaru's neck, she pulled him towards the staircase. As they reached the bottom, she sent a smile to Gaara who joined them. The finalists for the third exam: Sasuke, Shino, Kankuro, Temari, Kohei, Shikamaru, Naruto, Neji, Gaara, Dosu, and her. They stood in front of the proctor as Hiruzen, Ibiki, and Anko made their way to the ground floor. "To everyone who has advanced to the final round of the Chunin Exams, there's one person who's missing, but congratulations."

            "Well, I will begin the explanation of the final round," Hiruzen said. "The final round is where each one of you will show off your battle skills in front of everyone. I want you to satisfactorily demonstrate and show off your ability as representative battle forces for your respective lands. Accordingly, the final round will commence one month from now."

            "We're not going to do it here, right now?" Naruto asked.

            "This is so that there's a suitable period of preparation. That is to say, along with the announcement of the conclusion of the preliminary match to each country's Daimyo and Shinobi leaders, readying the summons for final round requires preparation time-not to mention the time it takes for you examinees to prepare."

            "I don't quite get what you're trying to say," Kankuro said, "what do you mean?"

            "Jiji likes to talk in circles," Ayumi released Shikamaru before peering around Gaara, "what he means is he's giving us the chance to learn from these matches and better our own skills. Since a lot of us used nearly our strongest attacks in these matches, this gives us the chance to train more. That will make our next matches more interesting to watch for the visitors." She looked to the Hokage, "right, Jiji?"

            "Exactly, in the spirit of fairness and equality, you all will have a month to train yourself and further your skills." He took a huff of his pipe, "now that that's done, I'd like you to take your leave. But first, for the final round, there is one more important matter to take care of."

            "Let's get on with it, so we can get to training!" Naruto exclaimed.

            "Now, now, I want you all to calmly take one slip of paper from the box that Anko is holding."

            "I'm going to go around in order," Anko announced, "take only one." Anko walked along the line up, each person reaching in to take a slip of paper. Ayumi unfolded hers to see a large number eight printed in black.

            "Good now everyone has taken a number," Ibiki said. "Then, from left to right, tell me the number on your slip of paper."

            The Sound genin was first, "I'm eleven."

            Naruto next, "I'm one."

            Temari, "nine."

            Kankuro, "six."

            Gaara, "four."

            "Eight."

            Shikamaru, "ten."

            Kohei, "three."

            Neji, "two."

            Shino, "seven."

            "In other words, he has number five." Ibiki filled out the paper in his hands as they called their numbers.

            Hiruzen spoke, "very well. I will tell you about how the final round tournament will work. Ibiki bring forth the pairings." Ibiki stepped forward and revealed his clipboard. With the odd one out, Kohei would fight whoever won in the first battle; meaning either Naruto or Neji. Searching the names, Ayumi spotted hers. Her first fight put her against Temari. Ayumi looked to said kunoichi whose teal eyes were already on her. Flashing a smile, she gave her a thumbs up.