Chapter 40: Running up that hill

Steve was driving the car and Dustin, Lucas and Max were sitting on the backseat.Max had just completely obliviated Steve with that she wanted to go see her mom.And Lilly had respect for her to be talking to him like that.She was completely right. If this really was her last day around she had the right to do what she wanted. So the group was driving towards the trailer park.

Steve stopped right in front of the trailer Max was living in with her mom.'Okay, this better be fast Mayfield.' Steve said as he put the car in free. 'Twenty seconds.' Max answered and she was out the door.

Lilly was sitting next to Steve. 'How can you be so inconsiderate Steve.' Lilly said to him while pulling down the sun visor and looking in the mirror.

She took her back and started doing her makeup in the small mirror. Steve rolled his eyes and then looked at Dustin.'That thing got batteries in it right?' Steve askedTo which Dustin just sighed and looked out of the window.'I'm not even answering that question.' he told Steve.

To which Steve looked confused and in front of him.'Yes it has batteries Steve.' He then told Steve.'Yeah, i got it.' Steve answered.When Lilly was done with her makeup she stepped out of the car and wanted to lit a cigarette. But she rememberd she left the package with Eddie. The other boys were doing the same trying to stretch their legs. When suddenly Max came around the corner of the trailer.She was panting and stepped directly into the car.'Hey that was longer than twenty seconds.' Steve said hanging on his door trying to be funny. when he saw she was clearly upset.

'Hey, whoa, whoa. You all right?' He asked Max as he turned towards the door she was trying to get in. 'I'm fine just drive.' Max said as she stepped into the car.They all jumped into the car.'Did something happen?' Lilly asked.'Can we please just go?' Max answered looking out of the window.Steve started the car and drove away. No one said a word the car ride. Lilly was thinking about Eddie, but her thoughts fastly changed to Max.She started to like the small redhead she had a big (and foul) mouth and always knows what to say. Max was looking at the road giving Steve directions every know and then.She didn't say were they were going.

It had been silent for a while. When Max suddenly said. 'Turn here.' 'Here?' Lilly asked Max. she gave a small side eye looking at Lilly and she just nodded. Steve turned to the left entering the parking lot of the Roane Hill cemetery. Lilly didn't know anyone that could be here.Maybe Max her grandparents or her dad cause it was only her and her mom.'Stop the car.' Max then said.

Steve parked the car on the sideway so other cars could pass. And Max stepped out of the car leaving her backpack in the car. Lucas also jumped out of the car.'Max?' 'Lucas please, just wait in the car.' Max said as she turned to Lucas and after her words fastly turned again walking up a small hill.'Max, just wait. Max, please' Lucas kept going running up to Max.'Lucas, just wait-- ' Max started again.But he catched up to her and stopped her.'Max just listen to me.Just please.' He stood in front of her with his hands together begging for her to listen.'I know something happened back there with your mother.' Lucas started.Max didn't say anything but just stiffened. 'Was... was it Vecna?' Lucas asked. Max was silent for about ten seconds.'I told you, i'm fine.' Max said looking at Lucas.a small smile appeared on her face.'Okay?' she asked him.'I mean, as fine as someone who's hurtling towards a gruesome death can be.'She said while looking at her envelope.'Max..' Lucas started.'You know you can talk to me..right?' He asked her.'Yeah..' Max said nodding her head.'I know that.' 'Okay, then why do you keep pushing me away?' Lucas asked.Max didn't answer.