Chapter 24

Brittany's POV

June brought our first wedding anniversary. Santana and I had decided that as our gifts to each other, we would redecorate our bedroom, since we hadn't when we'd moved in, and we couldn't really afford to go on a honeymoon like we'd wanted.

The process didn't talk long, since the room mostly just needed a fresh coat of paint and some new furniture, but it finally started to feel more like ours.

"Could we maybe go to Chillicothe this summer?" Santana asked the next morning.

"Where exactly is that?"

"Only about an hour from us," she replied. "There's a children's museum there that I think Everly would like and... it's where my cousin lives."

"Sure, we could visit your cousin. But why the sudden interest?" I asked.

"Well, I haven't seen most of my family since I came out, since most of them weren't the most supportive, but Carlos always was. I guess I was separating myself from him because of our family, but my mom recently told me he isn't in contact with them either. Plus, he's the father of the first baby I ever delivered, and I haven't seen her in years."

"The baby on your Instagram? The one who made you want to become a midwife?"

"Yeah. She's six already. I asked my cousin if he's be alright with us visiting, and he said he'd love that. Plus, he's never met Everly."

"Okay," I said, "then let's go to... what's the place?"

Santana laughed. "Chillicothe."

"Let's go to Chillicothe. Maybe next weekend?"

"Sounds good. Thanks, Britt."

"No problem."

---

When we arrived at Carlos' house the next weekend, I could tell Santana was a little nervous. She rang the doorbell, Everly in her arms, as I held most of our things.

"Hey, Santana!" a man who I could only assume was Carlos opened the door. "And this must be Brittany and Everly."

"Yeah," she replied. "It's good to see you again."

"You too. Come on in. You remember Ashley and Ava."

"Of course, hi Ash. And hi Ava."

The six year old looked at Santana curiously.

"Do you remember me?" Santana asked.

She shook her head.

"Oh, well, that's okay. My name is Santana. This is my wife Brittany and our daughter Everly."

Soon Everly was sitting next to Ava on the floor playing with their dolls (separately, but it was still cute), and the rest of us were sitting on the couches.

"I'm so glad you decided to come visit," Carlos said. "I've missed you so much."

"Me too," Santana replied. "It was so hard when most of our family rejected me, and I'm so glad you didn't. I always felt like we were on the same team, you know? Being the oldest cousins and bossing the others around when we were younger and everything."

I was happy to see Santana reunited with Carlos and loved to hear their childhood stories. Soon, I was joining in on the conversation with them and Ashley, so, so glad that we'd decided to come visit.

---

The summer after moving into our new place, there was a reunion planned for our glee club's members. Despite some resistance from Santana, we decided to go, and, since it was in the choir room (I don't know how they got the school to agree to that), we wanted to bring our daughter with to see the room she'd heard about, where her mommies fell in love, despite the fact that she probably didn't understand much of the stories we told her.