Chapter 3

Santana's POV

Brittany had said that she was spending the next day with her family, but I knew I couldn't stay away. Even though she'd just come back into my life, I could never let her go again. I'd missed her far too much for that.

So, after lunch, I walked to the Pierce's house, one that had been a second home to me for the first two years of high school. I hadn't been there since, but it felt just as natural to walk there as it had felt then.

I rang the doorbell at the front door, beginning to feel slight butterflies in my stomach.

"Santana?" Brittany's mother asked surprised. "What are you doing here?"

"I was hoping I could see Brittany. Is she here?"

"She said she was with you."

"Oh," I said. "She told me she was spending time with you today."

"Well, you might as well come in, Santana." She opened the door wider and let me come inside.

The house looked very similar as it had all those years ago. The paint on the walls was different, and they no longer had cat toys scattering the floor, but it still felt familiar.

"What have you been up to?" her mother asked me as we sat down in the living room.

"School, mostly," I replied. "I'm studying to become a midwife."

"Do you enjoy it?"

"I love it."

Just then, the front door opened, and I heard Brittany's familiar footsteps walking through the house.

"Mom! Where- oh, Santana, you're here."

"Yes, she came here looking for you," her mom said, "which is interesting, considering you told me you were with her today."

"I'm sorry, Mom, but I just needed some time for myself. I do want to talk with Santana now, though, so we'll be going, if you don't mind."

Brittany grabbed my hand in hers to lead me outside, as though she couldn't leave the house fast enough, only letting go once we were outside on the sidewalk.

"What's the hurry?" I asked in a joking tone.

"I have something I need to tell you." Her voice was serious as she started walking, and I jogged a few steps to catch up.

"Is something wrong?" I asked.

"Not exactly, but I really need your help... I'm pregnant."

I was shocked, not expecting the news at all.

"It's fine if you don't want to help, honestly, I just needed someone to talk to, and, well, you know how my family is, and I-"

"Britt! It's okay. I'm not upset with you or judging you or whatever you thought I would do. I want to help support you. Obviously, I have some questions, but it's alright."

Brittany let out a clear sigh of relief. "Oh, okay. Well, I was dating this guy for a few years, I got pregnant, he didn't want a baby, so I left. That's really all I want to say right now, and that I have a doctor's appointment today, my first one, and I really need you to come with me. I thought I could do it alone, but then I walked past the clinic this morning, and I knew I couldn't. Please?"

"I want to support you, Britt," I said, "but are you sure about not telling your family?"

"I will tell them, just not yet. So, will you come?"

"Okay."

---

So, when it came time for Brittany to go to her doctor's appointment, I was walking beside her into the clinic. I hadn't been inside the Lima clinic in years, ever since my last appointment while I was still in high school. Not much had changed, which wasn't surprising in the slightest; we were in Lima after all.

"Brittany Pierce?"

Brittany shot up out of her seat and grabbed my hand as I stood from mine to walk to the room where she would be having her check up.

I watched as she was weighed and given a basic physical exam. She seemed very relaxed, and I knew with all the minor injuries she'd gotten from dancing in the past, she was quite used to visiting the doctor's office. The issue with this appointment was that it was not a regular doctor's appointment.

Brittany didn't even flinch when her blood was taken. But, when it was time for her pelvic exam, I noticed she was biting her lip, eyes darting around the room.

I offered her my hand as she lay there, and she took it. While I didn't want to overstep any boundaries, I knew that Brittany had asked me to come along for a reason, so I was going to comfort her in the best way I could.

"Well," the doctor said, "you're about seven weeks along, which would place your due date around September 10th."

Brittany nodded.

"Everything seems to be good," the doctor continued. "I'd like to see you again in four weeks. Here is a prescription for prenatal vitamins."

Brittany took the paper from the doctor while sitting up.

Clearly, this doctor was in a rush.

"Britt," I said to her quietly. "I have some books on pregnancy, and I can tell you about anything you need to know, okay? I know the doctor didn't say as much as you need to know."

"Thanks," she whispered.

---

After leaving the doctor's office, Brittany still seemed more than a little on-edge, picking at the skin on her hands and biting her lip.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

She shrugged. "I'm alright. But, I need to bring my car back to my ex-boyfriend's house, since it's technically his. Would you be willing to help me?"

"Of course," I replied, leaving out how I'd be willing to help her with anything.

---

Hey!

Here is another shorter chapter, but I promise that things will soon start to pick up, and the chapters will be (mostly) longer.

Thanks for reading!