Chapter 1

Brittany's POV

I stared down at the pregnancy test in my hand. I had been so scared to actually look at it, and now that I was seeing it, I didn't know how to react. A part of me was excited; I had always wanted to have kids. But, the other part of me was scared, since I had no idea how my boyfriend, Reid, would react, and the idea of pregnancy was mostly foreign to me. Still, I knew that no matter what happened, I would love that baby to the best of my abilities.

---

He was screaming, punching the wall, throwing a vase. It took all I had not to throw something back at him.

"Are you stupid?!" he yelled, continuing his angry rant. "You knew this wasn't the plan!"

By "the plan," he meant his plan.

"You are going to the clinic tomorrow! No exceptions!" He pushed cup off the kitchen counter, letting it shatter on the floor.

In that moment, I felt like the cup: shattered and broken. My entire life had changed in only a few minutes. I had never seen him get that angry before.

It took almost an hour before he finally calmed down. I went to bed with him, but as soon as he started snoring, I got up and packed a suitcase and a backpack of my most important belongings. I knew that I couldn't stay; I had never wanted anything less than to go to the clinic and get rid of the baby. Despite the circumstances, I wasn't really scared. I knew what I needed to do, so I left, taking the car that I usually drove (although it wasn't technically mine). It was about 2 in the morning, and I was exhausted, but I knew I had to leave.

I drove for a few miles before realizing that I was going in the direction of my home state, Ohio. I went home every holiday, but besides that, I didn't want to be surrounded with reminders of my past. At that moment, though, I knew that being home with my family would be the best thing for me.

I arrived in Lima soon after the sun started rising. I knew I should be tired, but I couldn't feel any exhaustion yet. When I pulled into my parents' driveway and walked to the front door, I felt weird. I carried my suitcase and backpack, literally feeling as though I was returning home with my tail between my legs, embarrassed.

"Brittany!" my mom exclaimed as she opened the door. "What are you doing home?" She paused for a moment. "Is Reid with you?"

I shook my head. "We're done."

Since I'd been living with Reid for two years already, I'm sure my announcement came as a surprise to my family.

"Can I stay with you while I sort things out?" I asked.

"Of course, Sweetie," she said, hugging me tightly. "You know your room is just how you left it."

I'd been home only a month earlier to celebrate Christmas with my family, but it was still nice to see them again. I hugged my dad and sister once I was inside before bringing my bags up to my childhood (and every time I came to visit) bedroom.

I didn't have any close friends anymore, so I only had my family to talk to. I didn't have a boss to call, since I'd been laid off and Reid didn't want me getting a new job. He also hadn't wanted children, which is what he'd made very clear to me the night before when I told him the news I'd just discovered myself a few hours prior: I was pregnant. He'd said it was my fault, he didn't want kids, and I needed to get rid of it, but I couldn't.

I didn't want to tell my family about my pregnancy yet. They were quite nosy, though, so I was sure they'd find out soon enough.

After unpacking a few of my belongings, my stomach growled from hunger, so I went to the kitchen where my little sister and mom were eating breakfast, my dad already gone for his usual weekend golfing with his friends.