Reconnecting

Y/N POV 

Our house is completely silent when I walk in and the quiet makes the door shut even louder than it should have. I try to be as quiet as possible when I take my jacket and shoes off but I'm not sure how successful I was. As I walk into the kitchen I jump a little when a light in the living room turns on and my mom makes eye contact with me. 

"How was your evening?" She asks in a pretty even tone and I look away. 

"Good," I respond and pull a glass down from a cabinet. 

"Good? Where were you, Y/N?" She stands up and I refuse to look at her as I fill a glass with water and lean against the counter. 

"I'm not a kid anymore, Mom," I say as I take a sip and stare past her. 

"You'll always be my kid. You stormed out of this house. Tell me where you went." She grabs the glass from my hand and takes it away. 

"I was at Alyssa's," I answer and she sighs. "I wasn't going to come back." 

"I think you're overreacting." She moves into my path as I try to walk into the living room. 

"Really? I think I'm having trouble coming up with a good reaction." I dodge around her and pull down a vase to put a bundle of flowers I had bought on the way back. For some reason, a little flower shop was still open so I decided to bring a peace offering.

"You left her behind." My mom says and I clench my jaw as I watch the water fill up the vase. "She was really upset, Y/N." 

"So was I!" I slam my fist against the counter and I look down at my hands. "I still am." 

"Calm down." She walks toward me so I spin to face her. 

"I'm a lot calmer than I want to be," I say and she shakes her head slowly. 

"Were you out drinking with Alyssa?" She asks and I look at her in disbelief.

"Why would you ever think that?" I ask.

"Because you're acting like an asshole. You're not acting like my daughter." She crosses her arms and I nod slowly. 

"People change I guess." I stuff the flowers into the vase and walk past her. 

"She's been crying in your room all night." She says and I stop in my tracks. 

"I didn't come back for Scarlett, Mom. I came back for Rose." I say and I turn around to look at her. "For the first time... I know I'm not the problem here. I'm going to take the job even if I lose this relationship." 

"I never said you were in the wrong. You're just normally the bigger person who tries to fix everything. But your leaving was pretty awful." My mom says and I laugh a little. 

"I'll see you in the morning." I turn around again. 

"You're acting like your father." Her words feel like she just slashed deep cuts in my back so I freeze. I take a deep breath and walk up the stairs without looking back at her. I am nothing like my father. I will never be like him. 

I finally stop walking when I get to Rose's door. I press my ear against it and there's no sound from inside, obviously, she's fast asleep. I try to open the door but it's locked which worries me. I jiggle the handle a few times but I give up and just sit down with my head resting against the door. 

A few minutes pass before I hear the stairs creak as my mom walks up them. She sighs when she sees me and she slowly sits down on the other side of the hallway to look at me. "What's going on?" 

"Don't talk to me." I stand up and she seems alarmed at my tone. "You don't get to compare me to him and then pretend as if nothing happened." 

"Then don't act like him." She argues and stands up too. I've never fought like this with my mother before.