057

The boat's engine worked until Carmen and Eddie reached a different part of land, somewhere within the trees to hide behind just in case someone came looking for them.

Their clothes were soaked as they found a place to camp out at, trying to wrap their head around everything. Their walkie was soaked as well, making them unable to contact the others, unfortunately.

Carmen peeled off her soaked sweater, revealing the spaghetti strap top she had on underneath. She was probably going to be cold, but with the sweater that was now heavy with cold water, she was probably better off without it.

Eddie just kept his clothes on, sitting on the ground as he stared out into nothing. It was too dark to really see anything, and the only reason they could still make things out was because of the bright moonlight reflecting off of Lover's Lake.

Carmen slowly walked over to him, carefully sitting down next to him. She didn't know what to say. They had both just experienced something too graphic too even fathom.

"Is that, um..." Carmen began, exhaling. "Is that what happened to Chrissy?" Eddie took a moment before he nodded, making Carmen look down. "Shit."

"We shouldn't have left them there," Eddie quietly said, still staring off into the distance. "I-I just ran away again. Like I did with — with Chrissy."

"Eddie, what else were we supposed to do? Jason, he...he was going to hurt you. I wish we could have stayed and helped but...if he caught you, we'd probably both be in jail right now and all of the others' work right now would be for nothing," Carmen told him, trying to make him feel better. And herself, too, since she also get guilty for just leaving Jason with his deceased friend in the open water.

"I know, I know. It's just..." he trailed off, shaking his head as he looked down. He then sighed, "I don't know what to do."

"It's okay," Carmen assured him, placing a hand on his shoulder comfortingly. "I don't really know what to do either. But we can figure it out together, right?"

Eddie looked over at her, somehow finding her eyes in the darkness surrounding them. "Yeah," he agreed with a small nod. "Yeah, you're right."

"I always am," Carmen joked to try and lighten the mood, like she always did, but even her joking couldn't bring a real smile to her face. She had only put a fake one one up, just for Eddie. "First things first, we should probably figure out how the hell we're gonna sleep."

Eddie shrugged, which made her hand fall off of his shoulder. He had pretended not to notice it before, but with it gone, he felt less comfortable somehow. "I honestly don't think I'm gonna be able to sleep after that," he told her.

"Yeah, me either," she said softly, biting the inside of her cheek. "Maybe we should just wait it out here, though. Wait for it to get bright out and then we can set off to try and find or contact the others."

Eddie nodded. "Yeah, good idea."

The two had waited it out overnight, and Eddie was right: they weren't really able to sleep. Sometimes they spoke and other times, they just sat in silence. They just prayed that the others had found a way to fix this since with Patrick's death...Eddie may be in even more trouble than he originally was if Jason lied to the police.

The next morning, the two then set out like they had planned to. They didn't really know where they were going, but they wanted to at least try to find a way to contact the others.

They walked in silence with Carmen holding her sweater that still needed to be dried some more. "Hey, you need a jacket?" Eddie asked her since it was kind of cool outside to be wearing just a tank top.