027

The next day at the mall, Beverly helped some young girls find some clothes. She had thought about what Carmen and Alicia were saying the day before about her liking Steve, wanting to prove them wrong somehow. And also to prove her own thoughts wrong.

The last time she had talked to Steve was on the last day of school since she was saying goodbye to everyone, acting like she wouldn't see some of them over the summer. Their interaction was short and awkward, both of them not knowing what to say.

But Beverly wanted to show her friends, and herself, that she could have a normal, friendly conversation with Steve since she liked him as a friend. That was it. Just as a friend. That was honestly even monumental — accepting the fact that she didn't hate him anymore.

So, she decided to work up the courage to go into Scoops Ahoy and say hi. "Hey, Dylan," she said, walking up to him. "I gotta go take a quick bathroom break. Is that okay?" she asked.

"Yeah, but be fast," he told her and she nodded, spinning around to head out. "Oh, and is Carmen stopping by at all today?"

Beverly looked over her shoulder and shrugged. "Maybe. Depends on what happens at the hospital," she answered and she heard him sigh. She smiled humorously at him before walking out of the store.

She noticed Robin holding up a sign with words on it that read, You Suck and You Rule. There were multiple lines on the You Suck side and Beverly tilted her head in confusion before the Buckley girl slid it away. Chris was standing beside her, an amused look on his face as Steve spoke to the both of them.

She continued walking, getting caught behind a group of girls. She was honestly grateful for it, wanting to give herself some time to plan out what to say to the Harrington boy. Wait, stop. Why am I stressing over this so much? I'm supposed to be showing that I don't like him...'cause I don't! I don't...right?

She waited in line behind the group of girls, seeing a Scoops Ahoy hat being flung to the side. She furrowed her brows before she jumped back slightly, hearing Steve exclaim, "Ahoy, ladies! Didn't see you there!" The girls gasped, also getting frightened by him. "Would you guys like to set sail in this ocean of flavor with me? I'll be your captain. I'm Steve Harrington."

The girls chuckled awkwardly while the girl in the very front muttered, "Oh, God." Beverly grinned in amusement, not sure what Steve was trying to do. It seemed like he was trying to flirt, but at the same time, it also seemed like he was trying to act the part of being a sailor. Beverly secretly hoped it was the latter.

"Can I get you guys a little taste of the Cherries Jubilee? No? Anybody? Banana Boat? Four people, four spoons? Share it in the booth? Anybody? It's hot out there," he rambled on.

"You know, actually, we changed our minds," the girl in front slowly said and her friends behind her nodded, turning around and leaving.

"Oh, uh, okay! Come — come back anytime, ladies!" Steve shouted after them, earning a comical glance between Robin and Chris.

Beverly stepped up once the girls had left. It seemed like Steve hadn't noticed her yet, so she spoke up, "Hey, Steve."

Steve's eyes immediately landed on her, blinking rapidly once he realized who it was. "B-Beverly!" he said loudly, making her eyes go wide slightly. "I was wondering when you were gonna stop by."

"What?"

"Oh, 'cause, you know, we work across from each other," he quickly explained, clearing his throat awkwardly.

"Oh, right, yeah," she replied, playing it off cool. She then looked at Chris, who's entertained smile had faded. "Hey, Chris," she said. After their official breakup last fall, the two had barely spoken to each other and they weren't even considered friends. But Beverly had pretty much gotten over the whole drama since it was months ago. And Chris...not so much.