001

Beverly Crawford sat on Christopher Wheeler's bed, making out with him as she giggled giddily. They had been together for about six months now, lasting over the summer before she entered into her junior year while he entered into his sophomore year.

"Bev," Chris said lazily, pulling away from her lips despite his reluctance in doing so.

"What, Chris?" Beverly asked as she bit her lower lip, smiling at him.

"My mom's gonna think we're doing something up here," he told her, raising his eyebrows.

"Are we not doing something?" she countered mischievously, causing Chris to laugh. She went to go press her lips to his again before he swerved out of the way, causing her groan playfully. "Fine," she said as she rolled her eyes, standing up from the bed.

"Oh, come on, Bev. Maybe when my parents and my brother's friends aren't here, we could do something," he assured her, standing up from the bed and wrapping his arounds around Beverly's body.

She chuckled softly. "Like what?" she asked, arching a brow.

"You'll see," he said, spinning her around so she was facing him. He bent down, since he was taller than her, and placed a soft kiss on her lips.

"I love you," Beverly told him, staring into his eyes once he had pulled away. The couple had only shared a few 'I love you's', mostly from Bev, since they were only teenagers. But the words were very important to the girl.

"I know," Chris responded, causing Beverly's smile to falter slightly before she forced the smile back onto her face.

That's how it usually went. Beverly would say how she loved him and he would always respond with something along the lines of his latest response. He would only say it back sometimes and even then, Beverly felt like he didn't really mean it. The tone of his voice and the expression on his face...it just never felt genuine to her.

But of course he did, right? Why would they still be together if they hadn't?

"Now, let's go downstairs before we're accused of anything unholy," Chris joked, taking Beverly's hand and pulling her out the door. The couple headed downstairs, making their way into the kitchen where Karen Wheeler was. "Hey, Mom," Chris greeted.

"Hey, Chris," Mrs. Wheeler said before she noticed Beverly. "Bev, hey! How are you?" she asked happily. For some reason, Mrs. Wheeler loved Beverly...but not so much her mother, Lisa. Well, quite frankly, no one really liked Beverly's mother — everyone just pretended to since she was considered "up there" in Hawkins.

Beverly wondered if her deceased father, John Crawford, also pretended to like her when he was alive. Of course he had to, right? Maybe because Beverly wasn't too fond of her mother, she thought that everyone else wasn't.

Lisa wasn't a really good person, per se. She had Beverly with her father at around twenty two years old before they were even married. Because of the predicament, they were forced to marry by their parents, even though they weren't complaining since they were both in love.

About a few years after Beverly was born, her father was diagnosed with cancer. Beverly was extremely close to her father since her mother was very hard on her about her weight and "status" in school. But her father never cared — he just saw her as his little angel and she looked up to him like he was a superhero.

And then he died. Just like that. Leaving Beverly with her monster of a mother. Beverly didn't even know how someone like her father could fall in love with someone like her mother, but she guessed that maybe she was different in high school.

Almost right after her father died, Lisa remarried but kept the last name Crawford for Beverly's sake. The guy she married, Dave Williams, had money. Lots of it. Lisa was extremely materialistic so when her husband died, she was scared that their income wouldn't be the same as it was, so she had to think of something quick.