003

The next day at school, Beverly walked through the hallway next to Chris. They were talking about Will being missing since Beverly was worried, but Chris kept assuring her that he probably took a wrong turn trying to get home and he would turn up.

Alicia and Carmen were walking behind them, both discussing a test that the latter didn't study for. Alicia had basically studied the whole textbook, so she was going over everything she had memorized while Carmen listened, checking out some boys at the same time.

"Yo, Wheeler!" Steve shouted out once he spotted his best friend, Tommy and Carol trailing behind him. Beverly groaned quietly and clicked her tongue, watching as Steve walked over to them. "What's up?" he said, pulling Chris in to one of those guy hugs.

"Nothing much. We were just talking about how, uh, that Byers kid went missing," Chris told him as Tommy and Carol walked up to them.

"Who?" Tommy asked with a laugh, not taking it seriously.

"Uh, I don't know," Chris said, making Beverly furrow her brows and give him a look out of the corner of her eye.

"Yes, you do. It's Jonathan's brother, Will," Beverly said with a head nod because he obviously knew who Will was from Mike, and who Jonathan was from his grade. He had literally said it last night!

"Oh, yeah, right," Chris replied with a nod, rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly. Beverly gave him another look before she looked back at the others.

"Jonathan Byers? That perv?" Tommy questioned.

"Uh, I don't think he's the perv when me, Carmen, and Alicia caught Steve in the girls bathroom yesterday," Beverly pointed out, causing Steve to glare at her.

"Steve?" Chris immediately said in confusion.

"I-I was with Nancy!" he defended himself, holding his hand out.

"Nancy?" Chris repeated slowly, realizing what they were probably doing in the bathroom. "Ew, yeah, okay, didn't need to know that."

"Yeah, well, you would've thought I was a perv otherwise, thanks to your girlfriend," Steve pointed out, sending her a look.

"My name's actually Beverly, Harrington," she corrected him, unamused.

Steve rolled his eyes before he spotted Nancy walking with Barb, so he gestured for them all to follow him. He walked over and took the flash cards out of Barb's hands, making Nancy shout, "Hey!"

Tommy twisted Barb's ear, making Beverly and Alicia both roll their eyes at his bully behavior. "I don't know, I think you've studied enough, Nance," Steve told her.

"Steve—"

"I'm telling you, you know, you got this," Steve assured her.

"I don't think it's wise to interrupt a girl's studying habits," Alicia spoke up a matter of factly, crossing her arms.

"Oh, yeah. I've done that once and I've gotten a folder to the face," Carmen said with a nod, referring to that one time Alicia threw a folder at her when she kept on begging to go to a party even though they had a test the next day.

Steve shook his head. "Don't worry. Now, on to more important matters. My dad has left town on a conference and my mom's gone with him, 'cause, you know, she doesn't trust him."

"Good call," Tommy joked, making Steve give him a look.

"So are you in?" he asked Nancy, looking back at her.

"In for what?" Nancy replied in confusion.

"No parents? Big house?" Carol hinted, raising her eyebrows.