Chapter 45

Miranda Bonham

"Miranda!" Nixon called me. I snapped my eyes out of the daze I was in and looked up at him.

"Huh?"

"What's wrong?" He asked, a frown taking over his face. 

"You've been distracted ever since we left the Building of Justice." 

His thumb started drawing circles over the inside of my wrist. He was looking at me questionably, with worry etched in his features.

"I'm fine," I mumbled back. 

I didn't want to lie to him, but breaking down in a restaurant full of people didn't seem like the smartest way to go. There were about ten guards surrounding us, and separating us from the rest of the shifters dining in the restaurant we were in.

"Are you sure?" He pressed.

"I am," I replied, and attempted to smile, hoping it would be enough to calm him down. 

Everything was quiet in the palace. It was already dark out, and most of the servants had retired for the night. I hadn't seen Queen Lisbeth all day. Ever since the coronation, I rarely saw her around. She kept to herself most of the time. 

Anything I found out about her was through Nixon. She was still trying to convince him that I was evil and I had killed King Luther. 

After Zander's confession, I couldn't bring myself to feel guilty about King Luther's death. I had before, but not anymore.

What hurt me now were the plans Preston and my father had against Nixon. I hadn't been able to stop thinking about it since we left the Building of Justice. 

I wanted to set Zander free. He deserved it. He had practically been sucked in by our parents' problems. I owed him that. Zander had been the only one who had been truthful to me. Preston hadn't told me anything, and that cut me deep.

"What are your plans for tomorrow morning?" Nixon asked me. He looked up at me while unbuttoning his dark gray dress shirt.