Chapter 35

Miranda Bonham

Five minutes into the fight, and both of them had gotten a few bites on the other. I could tell that Richard was more beaten up that Preston, and I assumed the shifters around could see it too.

I knew it would happen. I hadn't been sure, but I was glad Preston was proving that he was the stronger, no matter what Richard had said.

Nixon was holding on to my hand, and he had a peaceful expression on his face.

"I'm about to get him," Preston said to me through the mind link.

Just as he said that, Richard went at him. Richard was trying to get to Preston's neck. He was too slow however, because Preston moved out of the way and jumped over Richard's body instead.

It took just a second for Preston to bite down into Richard's neck. That was it. It was all Preston had to do to be proclaimed the winner.

Of course, things could never be that easy. Preston was about to let go of Richard when a medium-sized light brown Wolf and another larger gray Wolf jumped into the square.

"Stop!" King Luther yelled.

Both Nixon and I got up from our seats. Richard and the two new additions were baring their teeth at Preston and looked ready to attack him.

"What are they doing?" I asked Nixon in a panicked voice.

"It's Ashlyn and Richard's Beta," Nixon replied.

When I tried to take a step towards my brother, Nixon stepped in front of me.

"The guards will deal with it," Everyone around went still, as they waited for the next orders to be given.

"Back down, now!" King Luther growled at the three Wolves that kept their eyes locked with my brother.

The royal guards were starting to step in, but none of them were in their Wolf form. They were moving cautiously towards the center.

"If they come at you, run towards me!" I desperately told Preston.